Major problems with my Mariner - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2004, 11:50   #1 (permalink)

Major problems with my Mariner

I recently traded in my very reliable ’99 Honda CRV for a 2005 Mercury Mariner. I needed a little more room and I finally convinced the wife to get a new truck. I’m really frustrated by the dealership and I wanted to run this problem by you guys. At this point I just want the dealer to take the car back and give me the $8,400 for trade-in (which was already sent to auction). This is the last time I’m ever going to buy a new model again.

The problems started up the morning after I picked up the truck. When I got in and closed the door shut, the handle came loose on the inside and I nearly pulled it off. I think it was actually missing a screw, but I couldn’t tell because a plastic fastener hides it. Anyway, I called the dealer from work and he said they could take a look at it any time.

I went in on Saturday and they were pretty nice, except I had to wait about 45 minutes. Then on my way out of the dealership I heard a clicking noise from the transmission. I was already late and the noise went right away so I kept going.

Turned out that was just the beginning. The next week on my commute the transmission is going in and out of gear in traffic and when backing up. I made an appointment the next day and they gave me a loaner Focus when I dropped it off (I had to complain first, of course). I’m not sure what they did, but they seemed to fix THAT problem.

Last week my wife and I were on our way to San Antonio during the storm. The truck handled great in the rain, and with the AWD we were doing great. As we came over a bridge, there was a lot of water running across the road, but I decided to go for it. After all, when we asked our salesman why the truck was called the “Mariner” he told us the it had extra seals and stuff to handle very deep water.

Anyway, as the water came up above the lower door seal my wife said that water was coming into the cabin! We were about a third of the way across, and I was sure the water wouldn’t go higher than midway up the doors (that should be fine, right?) so I kept my foot up the gas and kept going. Well, it did go a lot deeper in fact up to the mirrors—at which point all the light on the dash went on and the engine stalled. I couldn’t believe it!

We called for help and it was big ordeal. Three cop cars, barking orders at us to stay inside the vehicle, and finally a cable tow which damaged part of the bumper. We were basically sitting in a bathtub, the water was up to the bottom of the steering wheel!

The truck smells terrible and needs $4,600 of new components according to the dealer. It has been sitting there for days now. The insurance company says it was my fault and the dealer won’t warranty the truck even though it is supposed to named for its water-treading ability! About the only thing I can do is write a letter to Ford and try to get the to buy the truck back or pay for the cost. My dealer won’t even admit that the door seals were bad!
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2004, 11:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: Major problems with my Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman
Last week my wife and I were on our way to San Antonio during the storm. The truck handled great in the rain, and with the AWD we were doing great. As we came over a bridge, there was a lot of water running across the road, but I decided to go for it. After all, when we asked our salesman why the truck was called the “Mariner” he told us the it had extra seals and stuff to handle very deep water.

Anyway, as the water came up above the lower door seal my wife said that water was coming into the cabin! We were about a third of the way across, and I was sure the water wouldn’t go higher than midway up the doors (that should be fine, right?) so I kept my foot up the gas and kept going. Well, it did go a lot deeper in fact up to the mirrors—at which point all the light on the dash went on and the engine stalled. I couldn’t believe it!

We called for help and it was big ordeal. Three cop cars, barking orders at us to stay inside the vehicle, and finally a cable tow which damaged part of the bumper. We were basically sitting in a bathtub, the water was up to the bottom of the steering wheel!

The truck smells terrible and needs $4,600 of new components according to the dealer. It has been sitting there for days now. The insurance company says it was my fault and the dealer won’t warranty the truck even though it is supposed to named for its water-treading ability! About the only thing I can do is write a letter to Ford and try to get the to buy the truck back or pay for the cost. My dealer won’t even admit that the door seals were bad!
WOW! Maybe this post should have been titled Major Problems with Brain You should not be allowed to drive, and PLEASE dont reproduce!
First you beleived what came out of the salesman mouth with out question? You truly need help! Anybody who wouldve taken five minutes to research driving into water would have quickly realized that seals do not make a vehicle water worthy.
Any standard vehicle cannot enter deep water (mid-tire level) without risk of water locking the engine because the AIR intakes are usually at or below this level. Hummers have a slightly higher intake but they are the exception. A snorkle is what is required to take a vehicle into deeper water. The Mariner/Escape/Tribute intakes are at the bottom bumper level so anything deeper and your in too deep. The seals are made to RAIN out not a river! Good news is unless your insurance has an idiot clause you should be covered but youll probably get canceled.
That was about the hardest Ive laughed in a while though....
MazdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 07:30   #3 (permalink)

I was feeling sorry for you with the handle problems and tranny problems. I can imagine how frustrating it is if you spend your hard earned money on a car, only to have problems with it. I truly feel for you.

On the other hand, when any automaker names a vehicle it is because they like the name. A Lincoln Town Car is not only for city driving. A Mercury Sable is not made from animal Fur, and a Mercury Mountaineer is not made to climb mountains. Sit back and think about it. Salesman will say anything they can to close a sale. It is up to you to confirm those comments he stated. Every vehicle comes with an owners manual that states that this vehicle, or any vehicle is not designed to drive in deep water.

You are lucky you survived. You could have been washed away and drowned. Use some common sense. It was wrong for the salesman to lie about the name, I admit that. I would also have words with the salesman. It is even more wrong of you to beleve what he said.

I don't feel Ford should pay for the repairs. The Insurance company should repair it. As a friend of an insurance company employee, the comment in the industry is "We insure stupidity". Looks like your case falls into that catagory.

Tom
Caymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 19:57   #4 (permalink)

I've had to face reality with what I did, I guess it was having this new SUV that "can go anywhere" feeling that got to me. Trust me, I've gotten enough grief from the wife. The shop called me today and told me it should be ready by the end of the week. I'm going to pay the bill out of pocket and just let it be a (gulp) big lesson to me. I still really like the Mariner, but this is the last time it goes to the water! Now, I really hope they can get the smell out of the carpet.
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum