Ford Forums banner

Mariner Hybrid 2008 spare tire shaft replacement

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  marcusdefey 
#1 ·
My wife just purchased a 2008 Mariner Hybrid. The spare tire hoist works, however, the shaft that turns the hoist/winch has snapped. I pulled the hoist off of the vehicle via the three bolts and dropped the tire, the broken shaft remains on the bumper. Has anyone here replaced the shaft before? Is it easily removable? I am planning on pulling one from the local salvage yard, yet I am finding it difficult to pull out the broken shaft from the rear bumper?! Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
I was hoping for the assembly on your car, I can't seem to find an assembly blow out on line. On older model Fords, I believe the interior winch needed to be pulled to get the shaft out, but you say yours is broken, it should come out. Possible a snap ring and\or a cotter pin holding them? As part of the parts list on your link, they show a cotter pin. It may be holding part of the shaft in the winch.

#13 ·
there is nothing holding the shaft in place. Remove the cotter pin, The shaft goes thru the back where the bumper cover is. Move the cover out of the way by removing the 2 10mm bolts and 4 torq screws. Dont need to remove the entire bumper. The plastic encased around the top of the shaft has to be pushed back and it isnt easy. I just kept beating and prying it. It came out. I did remove the lift portion so I would have more room to beat it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.