multiple error codes P035x. I need help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34   #1 (permalink)

multiple error codes P035x. I need help

2005 Ford Escape with a V6. Engime starts but runs very rough and dies. It has 4 error codes that the reader found; P0351 P0352 P0354 P0355. The engine ran fine then suddenly developed the problem. It's hard to imagine that 4 out of 6 coils failed at one time.
RickBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 13:26   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: multiple error codes P035x. I need help

Dont know if this helps ,

found the following service bulletin
*P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354, P0355, P0356 Coil On Plug Primary Circuit Failure
Ford has issued a TSB (TSB 09-2-6) for owners of 2005-06 Ford Escapes and Mercury Mariners with the 3.0-liter engine may find a Check Engine light with the trouble codes above. Ford has discovered problems with factory installed spark plugs that have poor insulating properties. These plugs can allow radio frequency (RF) interference that can damage ignition coils and even modules. If you see just one of the above trouble codes, immediately remove the spark plug for that cylinder and look for a two-digit alpha-numeric code on the plug’s porcelain insulator. If the code isn’t shown, replace the plug with a revised plug (AGSF-32W-M1). Then clear the trouble code and replace the coil-on-plug ignition coil.
However, if you’re getting multiple trouble codes, start again by checking for the date code on the plug. If it’s not there, replace all the plugs. Then clear the trouble codes and drive the vehicle. If you get multiple trouble codes again, you may have to replace the ignition module.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 13:35   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Apparently the ECM's are favourite for that problem going by this comment from a unhappy owner ,

Review
I bought a 2005 Escape XLT with 78,000 on the odometer. Good price and the thing looked cherry. After driving it for a couple months, the OBD light came on and it started misfiring. After a little research, I found out Ford used sub-standard parts to build this model. The ignition coils burn out the drivers in the ECM at about 100,000 miles. Well past warranty stage. Ford knew of this and sent a memo to dealers on what to look for if the code P0351 was showing. A repair that costs average $1,500. The worst thing is since this issue took place after market, the only ECM's left are used or reman. This is the reason people are buying Asian cars more. Ford, you people are crooks.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 15:05   #4 (permalink)

Logan,
Thank you for the responses. (on the pub page too). I did find the same bulletin as you did. The vehicle has had 3 coils burn and the computer has been changed about 2 years ago, I think the plugs were changed too. This is my stepdaughter's car and I'm trying to get info from her on when and what was done.
What I have found out on my research is it can be as simple as a broken ground wire or as bad as having to replace all the plugs, coils and the computer. I have decided that it is a bit beyond what I have time and equipment to take on. I had it towed to a shop that has always been fair to me, we need to figure on how we are going to pay for it all, she doesn't have a lot (recently divorced). I will post what repairs it takes to fix in hopes it will help someone else.
Thanks again,
Rick
RickBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum