Navigation System - Escape Hybrid - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 19:49   #1 (permalink)
2009 Escape Hybrid

Read Navigation System - Escape Hybrid

The mapping which came included with my 2009 Escape Hybrid is well over a year old. I have called Ford and Navteq. Ford refered me to Navteq, where they say there is no update available because, they have not received some information from Ford for the maps, as yet. Also they say that if they get the information, then the update should be ready in July/August of 2009, at a cost of $149.00 U.S. I have used the mapping system quite a bit, and like it, however it's sort of a mess when you have been told of a shorter route, but the mapping system does not have those streets in it yet. If you are thinking of buying a new one with the Nav system in it, you might try to make a map update part of the deal with no charge.
Fords-36+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 16:07   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Navigation System - Escape Hybrid

Yes, maps aren't cheap upgrades. All manufacturers charge at least $100 for the upgrade...PLUS installation. So $149 seems somewhat reasonable.

Map updates are generally out mid-fall of that year for the next year. A 2008 map will be published in late 2007 and newly constructed subdivisions and streets will always be a year behind. It's a bugger. You'd think in today's modern world map updates could be had quarterly thanks in part to satellite imagery.

I bought a Garmin 360 nuvi back in 2007. It cost me $450 at the time with 4yr extended warranty, on sale. At the time it was a great price and I use the unit regularly. It says that I should update to a current map, but I don't as Garmin wants $99. If my GPS unit gets interrupted somehow during this map upgrade, my extended warranty doesn't apply if the unit doesn't work as they'll blame it on owner error to cover their arse.

For the odd street that isn't on the Garmin unit, it still gets me close to where I want to go, and I'm fine with that.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:18   #3 (permalink)
2009 Escape Hybrid

Smile Re: Navigation System - Escape Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Yes, maps aren't cheap upgrades. All manufacturers charge at least $100 for the upgrade...PLUS installation. So $149 seems somewhat reasonable.

Map updates are generally out mid-fall of that year for the next year. A 2008 map will be published in late 2007 and newly constructed subdivisions and streets will always be a year behind. It's a bugger. You'd think in today's modern world map updates could be had quarterly thanks in part to satellite imagery.

I bought a Garmin 360 nuvi back in 2007. It cost me $450 at the time with 4yr extended warranty, on sale. At the time it was a great price and I use the unit regularly. It says that I should update to a current map, but I don't as Garmin wants $99. If my GPS unit gets interrupted somehow during this map upgrade, my extended warranty doesn't apply if the unit doesn't work as they'll blame it on owner error to cover their arse.

For the odd street that isn't on the Garmin unit, it still gets me close to where I want to go, and I'm fine with that.
***Thank you for your in put, I have been reading maps of one kind and another daily since about 1946, and have done one hell of a lot of driving:) So, like you, the gps thingy is a help to be sure, but personal knowledge wins hands down:) The information from Navteq as to the updates for my unit is that they contain the information for Continental U.S., Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii, that is not bad, even for $149.00. Going out to the vehicle today, and play with the unit to see what it says for Canada and Alaska. Thank you again.
Old 04-26-2009, 14:45   #4 (permalink)
canuck

NO problem, you're more than welcome..that's why we're all here, to pass along info and to give open suggestions.

However, I think AAA/CAA should include free navigation map upgrades! I forgot to mention that the purpose of my portable GPS unit purchase was due to the fact I was always in a different vehicle. I'll take my Dodge to Destin, FL, then I'll use my Taurus for some sales calls. A week later I'll find myself taking a load of aluminum sheeting down along the east coast in my Freightliner.

The suction cup mount of my GPS unit was also recently replaced at no cost, as the metal contacts were somewhat worn letting the unit turn on/off repeatedly over every second crack in the road! This is where the built in units SHINE lol.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 06-20-2009, 21:00   #5 (permalink)
2009 Escape Hybrid

confused Re: Navigation System - Escape Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords-36+ View Post
The mapping which came included with my 2009 Escape Hybrid is well over a year old. I have called Ford and Navteq. Ford refered me to Navteq, where they say there is no update available because, they have not received some information from Ford for the maps, as yet. Also they say that if they get the information, then the update should be ready in July/August of 2009, at a cost of $149.00 U.S. I have used the mapping system quite a bit, and like it, however it's sort of a mess when you have been told of a shorter route, but the mapping system does not have those streets in it yet. If you are thinking of buying a new one with the Nav system in it, you might try to make a map update part of the deal with no charge.
Today, June 20, 2009, went to the Navteq internet site, and after I put in the information to see if there is a map update, the site comes up with a window and states that they are not currently handling ANY Ford updates, and to contact Ford and/or the Dealer. So, there we stand.
A shiney new car with navigation system, and have to rely on outdated maps, don't quite seem right. I guess I will call the dealer and go through that gauntlet of not enough information once again.
I know they are struggling, and I applaud the fact that they aren't taking tax money to keep them afloat, so they get the extra mile from me, but just a mile. Also, so far the vehicle has been super!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:37   #6 (permalink)
2009 Escape Hybrid

Read Re: Navigation System - Escape Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords-36+ View Post
Okay, here it is February of 2010, STILL have NOT gotten any update for the 2009 Escape Hybrid! Have made numerous calls to Ford and NavTeq, getting numerous stories/excuses. Have heard of someone in the New Jersey area who has gotten an update for their Explorer, for just at $200.00, and it is listed with Ford Parts (company section) as being the same update that is for my 2009 Escape Hybrid.
Except for this issue, the Ford Escape Hybrid 2009 has to be one of the best autos I have ever owned, and if the Service Department at the Dealer keeps saving me money by not charging me or giving me good prices/service, this auto will be a keeper for me for many years to come. So far, NO problems - hmm . . . maybe I should not have said that :)
When I get around to it, I am going to write the Board of Directors of Ford, I don't know how much good it will do, but will let me tell them what I think.
Old 03-12-2010, 16:44   #7 (permalink)
2009 Escape Hybrid

biggrin Re: Navigation System - Escape Hybrid

I am updated! NAVTEQ had the update available on their site. Really surprised me, as I had checked their site a couple weeks back. If you order ONLINE from them, when you receive the discs you will have to call them for a "license key." The final cost with s&h was just over $229 usd. The two discs have the mapping and the Gracenote, it DID take just over THREE HOURS to update the system, and I had the engine turned on all the time, per instructions. Doesn't mean the gas engine has to be running just start the car, and leave it alone till done, it will do the usual shut down thing - no sweat.
Some of the missing roads are now there, and it seems to operate very well.
*** In the information of the system of your vehicle, you will need to find the:
APPLICATION number, you will need it to do the ordering, and when you call for your license key, they will want your VIN.***
Hope all goes well for all others.
Note to Ford, you missed out on charging me tech time and making a little profit on those discs. Find out who dropped the ball, and give them you know what.

Last edited by Fords-36+; 03-12-2010 at 16:48. Reason: Adding comment
Old 03-13-2010, 11:27   #8 (permalink)
canuck

Good to know and glad you were able to update!!!
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 08-20-2010, 23:32   #9 (permalink)
2009 Escape Hybrid

Quote:
Well 360ci and others interested. I have updated for the second time, it took less than the three hours it took last time, it took two hours and fifty minutes. One lot of information to write to that slow hard drive in the auto. There have been some slight changes, and I can't really pin them down. However, I do wish the folks that choose the colors for these programs to use for certain things would try them out on themselves to see what is best. For instance, the name of the next street or turn is RED LETTERING ON BLACK, not only hard to see from the driver's seat under normal conditions, but so bad in sunlight that I don't even try. Green on White would be much easier to see, or even Black on White, or perhaps White on Black. I think you get my point. It does seem that the speech synthisis stumbles on pronounciation, which usually not real bad, but sometimes it says "turn right on . . ." and it doesn't give a name, it doesn't happen much, but in the dark, in a strange place, you need all the help you can get.
Here's hoping they find out about this.
Old 08-31-2010, 13:52   #10 (permalink)
2009 Escape Hybrid

Tongue Re: Navigation System - Escape Hybrid

Quote:
Thanks for the good wishes. Here is a short note:
August 2010
I received a card in the mail informing me that a new update for the mapping system is available, lot better than the last go around, I ordered the update, a bit expensive still $199.00 total = $229.00 usd. Received it with-in a week, maybe three or four days, updated the vehicle, and instead of three hours and ten minutes as last time, it took two hours and fifty minutes.
Just nice to note that NOW they notify me of the updates, although I think I will wait a year for the next, the Wife and family don't care for me shelling out that many fish for two discs:)
Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum