Need New Tires-What to get? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 20:19   #1 (permalink)

Need New Tires-What to get?

Hi all,

New here looking for a little advice. My Mom has a 2002 Escape with approx 117k on it. I just spent over $600 on repairs and maintenance and now I want to put a set of tires on which she desperately needs. At this point, I have a budget of about $5-600.

For good prices, I've looked at Costco and Sears and compared it to Tire Rack prices. So for a local store, Costco and Sears seem reasonable in comparison to a place like STS which were at least $20-$30 more for any tire. Times 4, that adds up.

The only issue is selection. Basically the selection between the 2 places is Bridgestone, Firestone, Michelin, BF Goodrich and Wrangler. Tires I was looking at..... Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684, but the reviews weren't that great. But I don't think my Mom is too picky based on the fact that she has been driving on 3 (1 almost bald) bad tires for a while. These were $118.99 at Costco. Other tires I was considering were the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 695, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A, Firestone Destination LE and Goodyear Wrangler SR Tire. She needs decent wet/mud/snow traction. She has to drive to do her job going into peoples driveways that may not be treated or kept up (vacant properties) and needs tires to stand up to running around and unknown terrain.

I prefer a tire that isn't too noisy, but will sacrifice a little more noise for a more rugged, dependable tire. Certainly not a all winter tire, just something that will give good performance all around.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks
trlyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Need New Tires-What to get?

Have a look at discounttire.com They are cheaper than tire rack with free shipping.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 20:40   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Have a look at discounttire.com They are cheaper than tire rack with free shipping.
Thanks. Their prices seem comparable. I prefer to go somewhere that I can buy and install at the same place. There is a STS literally less then 1/4 mile from her house. I was going to call them and see if they can possibly match pricing, but I'm not holding my breath.
trlyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55   #4 (permalink)

Sam's Warehouse Club has very prices on tires and they also mount and balance.
FordMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00   #5 (permalink)

A "leading consumer magazine" likes General Grabber HTX for SUV applications per its April, 2011 issue just out. That's what I have on 2006 Mariner V6 AWD, but they are noisy. You always hear the tire roar/whine at any speed over about 20 mph, concrete or asphalt.

Good idea to go to Tire Rack and Discount Tire websites and read the reviews posted by owners of the tires. Ignore those with low miles, and keep in mind that if you live in Minnesota, somebody from San Diego's review probably isn't relevant to snow performance. Spend some time. Read about your own tires and see if you agree.

Remember, saving a few bucks on tires you don't like isn't a real savings.
malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:58   #6 (permalink)
canuck

I vote anything BFG. I have a set of long trail TAs on my Durango and they have worn great! 50K miles and still going with just under half legal tread life left! I'd buy again.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum