New 2001 Escape owner - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2005, 18:55   #1 (permalink)
BA:Now were in business!

New 2001 Escape owner

My wife and I have just bought a 2nd hand 2001 Escape.
Any advice, tips tricks etc?
Also I am planning on taking it off-road (shock horror) anyone here had theirs on the beach etc? How did it go?

Thanx in advance!
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 08:52   #2 (permalink)

Re: New 2001 Escape owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFreak
Any advice, tips tricks etc?
Also I am planning on taking it off-road (shock horror) anyone here had theirs on the beach etc? How did it go?

Thanx in advance!
Just watch out for the transmission. Do you plan on towing anything ?
The only MAJOR problem I have heard is an early (2001) Mazda Tribute (which I guess has the same transmission as the Escape) who's tranmission died after some heavy towing. As long as you stay within the limits and have a proper tow-pack - should be o.k. If the transmission get too clunky - get it serviced or looked at.

Also, be careful travelling at high speeds (ie..100km +) in the wet. Because they are front wheel drives, and a relatively light vehicle, the rear-wheels can get loose - and get you into some interesting situations. Dont get me wrong they are still good in the wet, but front wheel drive dynamics are different - so just account for that in your driving...

Wouldn't worry about the majority of issues in this forum as the majority of people posting here are American's (not that there's anything wrong with that...). The American's Escape's are built in the U.S.
Our's are built in Japan - so we dont get many of the issues you hear on this forum - most of which are quality related - some of which absolutely astound me ! (some make me feel sorry for them ...)

As for off-roading, their quite good for some moderate terrain. As you dont get 'real' 4x4 tyres on Escape's wouldn't try anything to rough.
If you going on the beach, lower your tyre pressure down (goes without saying - just in case....).

Else, enjoy !!
Old 03-21-2005, 18:33   #3 (permalink)

Thanx for the reply

So far we LOVE the car but it is making some creaking noises from the front end when manouvering at low speeds.
But what a great car to drive!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 18:38   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
So far we LOVE the car but it is making some creaking noises from the front end when manouvering at low speeds.
Get the front bearings looked at. They may need adjusting, or could and need lubing and re-packing (maybe the previous owner took it through water).

Sounds like normal wear & tear ....

How do u find your fuel consumption ?
Old 04-05-2005, 20:27   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesA
Get the front bearings looked at. They may need adjusting, or could and need lubing and re-packing (maybe the previous owner took it through water).

Sounds like normal wear & tear ....

How do u find your fuel consumption ?
Thanx for the advice. Car is still under the used 3 month warranty period so I am trying to get the car yard to fix. (good luck I hear you say?) i am also sus on the ball joints or sus bushes but I aint a mechanic!
Previously we owned a EL Fairmont and while the Escape uses less fuel I am surprised with how much it does use for a 3 lt. But she has some balls!!

Wish there was a Aust Escape forums....would help heaps I reckon
Old 04-07-2005, 22:03   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanx for the advice. Car is still under the used 3 month warranty period so I am trying to get the car yard to fix. (good luck I hear you say?) i am also sus on the ball joints or sus bushes but I aint a mechanic!
Update on creaking front end noise.....broken right hand Engine mount!!!
Further to this there are none available in OZ until 20th of April.
Old 03-25-2007, 15:40   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Previously we owned a EL Fairmont and while the Escape uses less fuel I am surprised with how much it does use for a 3 lt. But she has some balls!!

Wish there was a Aust Escape forums....would help heaps I reckon
as far as the beach goes, I'm in Texas, USA. I live by the coast and i went dune hopping one day... truck took it really well but I accidentally unbuckled my seatbelt at some point and now theres a nice dent in the roof going outward. Believe me the 3.0 V6 does have balls.. I pulled a truck out of a sticky situation one day. You might be thinking oh big deal it was just a truck. It wasn't any ordinary truck... I'm talkin VIP cab international with a 53 ft. trailer (loaded)... pulled it like it was nothin. a local cop stopped traffic and watched me and laughed at the fact that he couldn't believe his own eyes.
CaptRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum