Programming new key fob for 08 Escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 10:16   #1 (permalink)

Programming new key fob for 08 Escape

Hi there,

My Escape originally came with 2 remote key fobs (remote and key together 1 piece). Recently, the range on one of them crapped out. It only works if you are right by the window or inside the vehicle which is useless.

Anyways, I got a brand new Ford 4 button Keyfob and tried all the programming instructions. The key itself works to start the vehicle but the remote does not.

I have tried the programming where you put the key in the ignition from off to on 8 times and the truck does go into program mode. The doors lock/unlock to prove this. Once I press any button on the new or old remotes, the horn honks instead of the door locks cycling. The remote obviously does not get programmed.

Anybody here can help me out with this? I have also read on one site that the vehicle may need an update to the software to fix this issue. If this is the case, is the update going to cost me or is it like a recall procedure? Thanks.

JJ
JJMONIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Programming new key fob for 08 Escape

I also tried disconnecting the battery for 20 mins and starting over. No luck. Thanks!

JJ
Old 04-16-2012, 11:42   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Best bet is to call your dealer and mention the TSB below.

Quote:
All remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters must be programmed at the same time.
Do not apply the brake pedal during this sequencing, as doing so ends the sequence and the transmitters will not be programmed.

Electronically unlock the door locks using the door lock control switch.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF to the RUN position 8 times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds ), with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module successfully enters program mode, it locks and then unlocks all the doors.
NOTE: If no action is taken within 20 seconds after a transmitter has been programmed, the programming sequence ends (the doors lock and unlock to confirm that programming is complete).

Within 20 seconds , press any button on the RKE transmitter to be programmed. The doors lock and then unlock to confirm that each RKE transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.

Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:

The key transitions to the OFF position.
20 seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
The maximum number (4) of RKE transmitters have been programmed.

Check the operation of the transmitter. If the door locks do not respond for the programmed RKE transmitter(s), wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Locks, Latches and Entry Systems. (Make sure that no more than the maximum number of RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.)

TSB info

Quote:
TSB 08-11-10

06/09/08
INTEGRATED KEYHEAD TRANSMITTER KEY (IKT) -
INCOMPLETE REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY (RKE)
PROGRAMMING AND/OR DTC B1139

FORD:
2008 Taurus X, Taurus, Escape Hybrid, Escape

MERCURY:
2008 Sable, Mariner Hybrid, Mariner

ISSUE
Some 2008 Escape, Mariner and Escape/Mariner Hybrid vehicles built on or before 01/18/2008, 2008 Taurus, Taurus X, and Sable vehicles built on or before 01/15/2008 may exhibit incomplete remote keyless entry (RKE) programming of the integrated keyhead transmitter key (IKT) when adding or replacing IKTs. The passive anti-theft system (PATS) will program and the engine will start and run, only the RKE transmitter function will be inoperative. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1139 may be present.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Reprogram the Instrument Cluster module to the latest calibration using IDS release B 55.4 and higher with patch 10. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2008.5 CD. Calibration and IDS patch files may also be obtained at the website. Using IDS open Toolbox, select Module Programming and then Instrument Cluster to perform reprogram.

2. Install the IKT that has inoperative RKE function into the ignition and turn to the RUN position for 6 seconds to program the RKE function.

3. Remove the IKT from the ignition and verify RKE buttons function properly.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37   #4 (permalink)

Thanks jwko!

Figures this is what I need. Good to know I am not going in blind. Appreciate the quick rersponse!

JJ
Old 04-16-2012, 13:40   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

YW. Be sure to post back and let up know how it went.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 17:48   #6 (permalink)

Hi all,

I know I started this thread last year but I had to go to the Ford dealer today to get some parts.

When there, I got the tech to hook up the truck on the scanner and look for any updates. Came back negative. No updates needed.

I have followed the steps in the manual as well as the other method of turning the key on and off 8 times. The car goes into program mode but when I press any button on either remote, the horn just honks.

Have also tries disconnecting the battery, googling everything and no luck. If anyone knows the trick, please let me know. Thanks.

JJ
Old 03-31-2013, 16:52   #7 (permalink)

I am having same problem. Apparently TSB isn't issue.
Kckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:40   #8 (permalink)

Brought it to the dealer a couple days ago and I got them to check for TSB and it also was not the issue. I have tried everything and think I have to just bite the bullet and pay them to program all ofmy keys.

JJ
Old 04-01-2013, 18:13   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

Looks like you need two working keys to program. If not, you definitely can't program yourself. Dealer or locksmith with Hotwire machne
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35   #10 (permalink)

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you all know that this problem has been resolved. I brought it to the closest dealer to my house and told them about the update to the cluster. They said they checked and everything is up to date. Still can't program the keys!

We brought the truck and keys to another dealer where we know someone and they applied the cluster update and programmed the 3 keys for us. All work perfectly. Good to know they actually checked.

Thanks for all the info on this cluster update.

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum