Question about timing chain - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16   #1 (permalink)

confused Question about timing chain

Quick question:

My 04 Escape is at 93,000 miles and I inquired about having the timing belt replaced. The guy at the dealership told me since it was a chain, and I didn't need to have it replaced. Is this true??

I bought this Escape brand new and I have taken good care of it, other than my long road trips. I just want to make sure that is doesn't have any issues due to the high mielage.

Thanks guys for your help!!
BurghGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 13:24   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Question about timing chain

Don't fix it till it breaks. There are actually multiple chains on that engine and changing them would be costly. I know of Escape models with 150,000 miles and never needed a chain replaced.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 00:13   #3 (permalink)

Hi Burghgirl !

The timing chain is superior to the timing belt found in most

engines these days. Doesn't have to be replaced every 80,000m

@ cost of app. $500. (broken belt = total engine rebuild)

Learn as much as you can,look after your vehicle through a

good shop and you will probably have "good luck" rather than bad.

All The Best
smitharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:36   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Timing chains can last a long time. Most are double roller design for better durability. As long as you change the oil regularly, the chain will outlast the pistons. A good thing to do every couple years is to run a carbon cleaner through the engine. There are two GOOD ones on the market that I have used myself. In some rare cases you'll even notice a gain in performance from freeing up built up carbon on valves, etc.

The first is called Auto-RX, available online for around $15. You add it to your engine oil and drive for about 800miles. Then replace the oil and filter. Its recommended to replace the filter first depending on engine condition as it might have more sludge build up in the engine and can clog a filter (never heard of this ever happening). The second is called SeaFoam, available at most auto parts stores. It comes in a can and there are various ways you can use it. The best is to take off a vacuum line from the brake booster and allow the vehicle to suck in about half a can (250mL or so). The engine will eventually stall out. Then wait 15-20minutes and crank the vehicle until it starts (generally under one minute). A lot of white smoke will come out of the exhaust for several minutes. The Seaform breaks down the carbon and blows it out. It shouldn't affect your cat converter or any other emission components. They recommend to add the remaining half can between your crankcase (add to oil) and the other half of that to the fuel tank. It's safer just to add the remaining half can to the fuel tank as some engines don't like anything messing around with their oil supply.

I recommend either treatment and then use a full synthetic oil and change it every 4-5K miles or 7500kms. This will extend the life of the engine and decrease component wear and future sludge buildup that can cause engine failure. You may change synthetic oil sooner, at the standard 3K interval but it's not necessary. Longer drain intervals will also come in handy when you go on your long road trips! Better piece of mind all around.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 17:46   #5 (permalink)

You'll know when the timing chains go bad because they'll start making noise. But in my experience that won't be until at least 200,000 miles, and even then you can probably just replace the guides and the chain itself will still be fine.
classicjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum