quick oil question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 13:40   #1 (permalink)

quick oil question

Will all the oil drain out if I only remove the filter housing cap?

I might need to change the cap but the oil is new. Will all the oil fall from removing this cap? If yes, I guess i'll have to gather it cleanly and put it all back in.

thanks
Philgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 11:37   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: quick oil question

I wouldn't reuse engine oil that has drained out due to possible contamination. I'm not familiar with a 'filter housing cap'. If you mean the 'oil fill cap', then no, the oil won't drain out. If you break off the oil filter end (the part that a wrench attaches to - not on all filters) then you have to replace the oil and filter. Do not resuse.

Your question is a bit confusing. Please also state the year, engine and mileage of your vehicle to better assist other members in helping you out.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 13:43   #3 (permalink)

the car is a 2009 escape, 2.5 liters engine.

Sorry about my question not being clear.

On my engine the oil filter is really a cartidge that you place in a housing that is pointing down , under the car on the front of the engine.

The housing has a plastic cap that needs to be unscrewed so the cartridge can be replaced. I did not have the correct filter wrench to undo that easily, so I was stuck and had to use plyers, damaging the cap in the process. I have brand new mobil 1 in there.

I want to replace the cartridge housing cap. I dont want to buy 50$ of oil again :) SO if by removing the filter again the engine will empty itself, I'd rather gather that oil and put it back in. If on the other hand the engine will just looses a bit of oil, well I dont mind topping it off.

thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 17:53   #4 (permalink)

why not wait til you need an oil change?its not leaking is it?
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 13:03   #5 (permalink)

nope its not, but I'm really paranoid about the cap cracking and leaving me possibly stranded , or damaging my engine.

Its a 15$ part, so id rather change it with the correct tool, torque it to spec and call it a day. (and have peace of mind)
Old 05-25-2009, 13:20   #6 (permalink)
canuck

You can phone the service department at the dealer and they can tell you what size tool you need to remove it. Strange that it's plastic. Hmmmm.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:00   #7 (permalink)

you will lose some oil but not all of it, if you let it sit long enough most of the oil should drain back into the oil pan which is lower than where the filter cartridge attaches. However there will still be some trapped in there... So maybe 1 QT or so will be lost. I would not re-use it just to save a few bucks like the others have said....add soem fresh to top it off after you fix the filter.

Just pick up another case (and another filter) your next change, if you don't use it now you'll need it at the next one and you will be able to save a trip to the store then.
zoom_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum