Random Start issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 15:34   #1 (permalink)

Random Start issue

Ford Escape 2003 with 96k miles. Needed a new battery. One week after replacing the battery(at the dealer) I started having random issues with starting my Escape.
It sounds like it wants to start but when it sounds like it's starting to turn over and get fuel then it stops.
A friend said perhaps something with the key transponder and my anti theft.
1. Started without issues, stopped to get a pizza- came back out to car and it wouldn't start. I tried multiple times. Got out of vehicle locked the doors and waited about 5 min and then it started fine.
2. same as above, plus I made sure the steering wheel and tires were straight and then after some waiting it started up fine.
3. After trying all of the above, as well as straightening the tires and steering column. My dad got it to start by moving the steering wheel up and down and then it started fine.
4. This last time I tried all of the above... took over an hour of waiting and trying. I found somthing online about 'cycling the key' so I turned the key fast about 8 times and the locks locked and unlocked on their own, and then when I turned the ignition all the way it started right up.

Frusterated, but don't want to spend a fortune waiting for the 'non-start' issue to happen at the dealer so they can diagnose.
From my reading I'm thinking something with the transponder in my key, or the antenae in the steering column from the Anti Thft system.
Does this make sense with how I've been able to get it to start in the past?
Thanks for any guidance!
karenhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 16:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Random Start issue

Forgot to mention the inbetween it starts just fine.. the non-start happens about every 10-14 days. Weather cold, wet or sunny and warm... all RANDOM!
karenhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 18:11   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Not sure how to do it, but resetting the securities is the cheapest way to go first. The most high tech security I have in my truck is the axe handle I keep under the seat. Kinda old school.
Old 04-20-2013, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Should add, a dealership can scan the security and see if it's actually failing, but unfortunately, they like to charge for this service.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum