Rattling/Sqeaking noise in 05 Escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 06:40   #1 (permalink)

Smile Rattling/Sqeaking noise in 05 Escape

I recently purcahsed an 05 Escape that I have had good luck with thus far with the exception of a rather annoying rattling/squeaking noise that sounds like it's coming from the lift gate area or somewhere near the back of the vehicle.

It does not occur when on smooth roads such as the expressway but is annoying when on bumpier city roads.

As an SUV newbie, is this normal? If not, any ideas on a fix for this?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
hadray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 18:58   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Rattling/Sqeaking noise in 05 Escape

First, remove all the cargo. Everything, if it didn't come attached to the vehicle, take it out. Make sure the spare tire is mounted tightly. I've encountered a problem where a spare would loose air pressure and start to bang around as the sidewalls would collapse a bit. If that doesn't solve the problem get a friend to ride in the back seat and try to pinpoint the noise, or have a friend drive and you try to pinpoint the noise.

Depending on your mileage you may just have a rattler. My 9 year old Durango has recently developed a shallow rattling sound (loose dash!) but isn't pronounced on the highway.

A maintenance item that is highly recommended, especially if you get snow in the winter months, is to spray all the weatherstripping around the doors and tailgate with a silicone spray lube. Every three months will prevent some squeaking down the road and prolong the life of the rubber to prevent leaks...as a lot of people don't realize that rubber does degrade over time and in extreme temperatures.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:08   #3 (permalink)

Re: Rattling/Sqeaking noise in 05 Escape

Thanks, that's a great idea, I will try that! I only have 44k miles and do live in a warm climate so no snow but I will definitely check out the spare tire mount.
hadray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum