Rollover Rating on '09 Escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 17:57   #1 (permalink)

Rollover Rating on '09 Escape

Hey everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a small SUV in the next few weeks and have mostly been looking at the 6-cyl Escape and Honda's CR-V since I don't need trail-rated but it would be nice to be able to carry my stuff that doesn't fit into a civic.

I have test driven both vehicles and prefer the handling of the Escape, but have been reading about the roll-over ratings for both vehicles. I'm a little spooked by how many lawyers are making money of class-action suits on the older escapes. The rating of 1.13 for the static stability factor on the escape is solidy in the 3-star range and seems significantly worse than the CR-V's 1.2-ish number.

I know the Escape has a bunch of software to mitigate the possibility of rollover under normal driving conditions, but was curious as to how significant the 3-star vs. 4-star rating is. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Louis
superlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 19:18   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Rollover Rating on '09 Escape

Louis, here goes:

Rollover ratings are irrelevant. If you steer any vehicle at a certain speed hard enough it will roll over. It all comes down to basic physics. Don't get me wrong here, both SUV's you mentioned are nice and well equipped for the price. The Honda won't necessarily fare better in a roll over over the Escape. It depends on the road conditions, status of the driver and most importantly, what else was being carried in the vehicle. Weight has everything to do with handling, braking and overall control.

If you have 5 passengers in either of these vehicles and have to turn suddenly, then hit a patch of ice on the highway you'll be in for one hulluva ride. The additional weight won't help your directional control and that's providing it was even properly distributed in the first place. 80% of all people overload their vehicles when they travel. Even with 5 people aboard neither SUV can carry more than 1000lbs payload, I believe the CRV is lower at around 870lbs.

I always say "save the racing for the track". If you drive to survive, you will, it's as simple as that. I can drive the **** out of my Durango on the track and it's a HEAVY SUV (5000lbs with me in it). I drove it to and from the oval track and skid pad in Marshall, Michigan USA (6hrs away) and it never rolled over on me. I felt the odd tire wanting to get airborne but still, nothing came of it. Vehicles are built to stay on the road, should the inevitable happen and you run off the shoulder of a highway perhaps, the most likely position you'll end up is on the vehicle's side. There's nearly no weight on the top (this is why roof racks can't carry much weight). The structure that prevents occupants from being crushed is built into the A pillar (the one that holds the windshield). If you have four 250lb adults at each corner you'll be at max payload, if not over, and you won't be able to haul any cargo.

US law states that a vehicle's A pillar has to hold 2.5 times the weight of the vehicle itself (empty). You can't get much safer than that. So, with that said, both vehicles are just as safe in the real world.

The start rating system is used to show the possible injury level a person could sustain. There are ratings for both the driver and passenger. The driver is generally in a worse scenario as the steering wheel is considered an obstacle and can cause greater injury depending on the type of accident.

To sum it up, a one star would equal severe head trauma and possible 1-2 broken body parts, and a five star (top of the trade) would mean minimal head and body trauma.

Another thing to consider is that when NHTSA tests vehicles to give them a star rating, they drive them into a concrete block (to resemble another vehicle). In reality, if you were to hit something, that 'something' would be pushed forward, such as another vehicle, and that would lessen the impact for both parties involved. Most of the time, the average driver would freeze up once they saw they were going to run into something and what would they do? Hit the brakes. Putting the pedal to the floor will make the vehicle dive, which can also affect damage and injury. With the front of the vehicle lower to the ground the bumper and crumple zones will better absorb impact. Unless of course, you run into a school bus and you give everyone a free ticket to heaven when you lose the top half of your vehicle.

A vehicle is only as safe as you make it. My Durango has a 3 star driver front crash rating and it doesn't bother me. I bought it for what it could do and what it offers me in return. I have 5.9L of engine in front of me and a trailer hitch behind for those that like to tailgate and not pay attention.

If you plan to drive yourself to and from work, I'd recommend the CRV, as it's a good everyday runabout, is light and gets better fuel economy than a V6 Escape. If you need that extra capability or would just like to have it available and don't mind paying a few hundred more dollars a year for fuel, get the Escape. The Escape is more of a broad vehicle in stance, and as another thought to leave you on, Honda claims fuel economy - and Ford claims safety.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the very thorough response! I don't intend on taking the vehicle to the track and think I do a pretty good job of not using the highways like a drag strip :)

Right now I'm probably looking towards the Escape since I'm just getting out of school and going to be most likely hauling everything under my name around for a bit. The CR-V does save gas (especially over a Escape V6 AWD), but the Ford incentives right now are pretty convincing. Also, from what I've heard, the highway MPG on such an escape isn't all the bad given you don't have a lead foot. I'm doing my best to not let this be a styling decision, but I also prefer the appearance of the Escape over the '09 CR-V.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:51   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlou View Post
The CR-V does save gas (especially over a Escape V6 AWD), but the Ford incentives right now are pretty convincing. Also, from what I've heard, the highway MPG on such an escape isn't all the bad given you don't have a lead foot. I'm doing my best to not let this be a styling decision, but I also prefer the appearance of the Escape over the '09 CR-V.
The Escape looks a LOT better than the CR-V with its snub nose design. Highway mileage for the V6 AWD is relatively good in the class, but not class leading. The incentives are great too and the Escape does have more usable cargo space, as the rear of the CR-V slopes down, intruding on interior capacity.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20   #5 (permalink)

This is starting to get off topic, but do you have any idea how well Ford vehicles hold value? I hear Hondas tend to do well because of their reliability. For Ford, my only experience is the old "Fix or Repair..." joke but I'm hoping that's changed with the times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum