Royal Purple oil in 2008 ford escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 15:28   #1 (permalink)

Royal Purple oil in 2008 ford escape

Hey guys just drained all the fluids from my truck and replaced it with royal purple synthetic oil. I changed the engine and transmission oil and i could feel the difference in noise and shifting. The hard shifting from 20mph is not that harsh anymore and the engine is smoother and quieter. I surely recommend this since i heard a lot of bad things about the CD4E transmission failing. I also added Z-max to the engine and transmission to help keep it clean. Im going to keep the trans fluid in there until i hit 30000 miles then drain it again to flush out all the old fluid. I love the escape since it has a drain plug in the transmission. Too bad they are not that reliable.
jtugfestiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 17:48   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Royal Purple oil in 2008 ford escape

I'm curious, is Z-max a synthetic based product?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 14:17   #3 (permalink)

i believe its a type of mineral oil that soaks into the metal at a certain temperature. It was first used in racing and was called a special cocktail for racers whose engine would fail during the race. Being in the airforce we also use this in our propelered airplanes called aveblend. it cleans the bearings and everything in there. Ive used z-max first on my 1990 ford festiva which started to have a noisey lifter at 90000 miles and around 3mos later the sound went away and i still have the car at 170000 miles. This is all city miles since i live in hawaii that is pretty high. Ive heard a mix bag about z-max but people think it works right away and thats the problem it takes time for it to soak and clean out the engine.
jtugfestiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
canuck

I tried z-max years ago on an older Spirit. After a year after adding it to the crankcase I changed over to synthetic oil and it made more of a difference than z-max ever did. In my '93 Spirit the oil was jet black at 3000kms (yes km, not miles). I'd change it every 3000kms with regular petrol oil. I flushed the engine with auto-rx, ran it in the crankcase with fresh no name oil for 1500kms and changed it out for Amsoil 5W30 full synthetic. After 6000kms the oil was still clean and I noticed a 3mpg average improvement in mileage up until I sold the vehicle.

I believe regular maintenance has a lot to determine how long components last. I'm sure your Escape has a transmission drain plug for lower cost of regular maintenance. My Dodge 46RE transmission has 12 bolts that I have to take off, scrape off the old RTV sealant and then reapply and torque the bolts accordingly. If I had a drain plug I could perform a transmission oil change in less than fifteen minutes versus the hour and a quarter, including taking the time to let the RTV sealant cure before adding fresh fluid. Change the fluid every 40,000kms and every third change take the pan off and change the filter. By changing the oil sooner you eliminate the need to replace the filter at every fluid change. The dealer knows this, but doesn't advertise it as they get more money (by the hour) by taking the pan off and charging you for a filter you dont' need.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum