Starting problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 18:36   #1 (permalink)

Starting problems

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner, when try to start it about have the time i turn the key all electronics come on but when I turn the key nothing. if I turn it on and off a couple of times it will start. There is no clicking when I turn the key, and when I turn it again it fires right up. Any ideas, battery cables are in good shape and terminals are clean. It's running well, i know battery can power electronics but may be low voltage but i'm hoping it's not starter, fuel pump or something worse. any help?
temple434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 20:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Starting problems

If you hear nothing, no starter sound, you have a starter issue of sorts.

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Tried a jump start or charging the battery ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01   #4 (permalink)

I would have an assistant move the ignition switch while checking for voltage to the starter relay or solenoid. The starter is disabled by the PATS, unless the proper key is within range of the sensor built into the steering column. It will be as if dead as a doornail until the key is recognized.
Have you tried the other key, if you have one? Does the anti-theft light continue to flash when you are trying to start? I think it should go out if the key is recognized, but cannot guarantee that.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 19:52   #5 (permalink)

Thanks sorry for long wait on reply, i replaced the battery and still have the problem. I tried the other key and still have the same problem. I will check the anti theft tomorrow but it sounds more like it because everything fires up just fine and when I turn the key nothing turn it on and off then it fires up just fine. it seems to work best if i turn it to just before start and let all the chimes and electric things check them self. Then turn the key the rest of the way. When it doesn't work lately a hear a hum or light buzz from the center console on the dashboard. Not sure what that is.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:35   #6 (permalink)

Why does it hum? Because it doesn't know the words... Or, in this case, it could be a relay that is not working properly, and doesn't apply or switch to the closed position. If the relay has been damaged by corrosion or worn by age & use, it might not work properly, and may be 'humming'. Normally, a relay produces a click sound when it operates, but if the gizzards are sticky, worn, or corroded, it might not develop enough magnetic force to operate fully, and can do the buzz, hum, or other similar noises.
tom
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46   #7 (permalink)

Issues is becoming worse, takes 5 to 15 attempts to start. Were are the relays, is it something I can check visually? Because of cash flow I am trying to avoid the dealer but i am running out of time.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:08   #8 (permalink)

You said: hum or light buzz from the center console on the dashboard.

Look there when it is making noise...
tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum