Starting Problems w/2005 Escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2004, 15:00   #1 (permalink)

mad Starting Problems w/2005 Escape

I own a 2005 Escape which I drove off the lot 4/28/04. I have been in love with this truck until it recently started not starting periodically. Today is the 3rd time it has been to the dealer for this problem. The first time I had it is, the dealer replaced the PCM. Second time, they told me there was nothing wrong as far as they could tell, take it home. I just received a call from the dealer on its 3rd visit, and they are telling me the same thing.

The truck just does not start. There is no clicking, grinding, gurgling, no noise at all when I turn the key in the ignition. The lights, radio, power windows, etc. will work...but it will not start. Of course, when it arrives at the dealer, it starts up like a charm. And I have not uncovered anything that would signal the problem coming on....I have no idea when it is going to happen.

Since the dealer could provide no answers, I contacted Ford. I spoke with customer service at Ford who basically told me that they can do nothing until the dealer sees the problem repeat itself.

The dealer has told me that this is a "highly unusual problem" and that it occuring "two times in 6 months really isn't anything to be overly concerned about."

As far as I have researched there are no recalls on the '05 model.

Any advice on this? It is heartbreaking because I really do enjoy the truck - it would be close to perfect if it was just reliable. I'm wondering if I got stuck with a Lemon.
Escape2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 18:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Starting Problems w/2005 Escape

Hi There,

Just a thought - perhaps it might be a problem with the ignition cut off switch? Most cars have a switch that prevents you from starting the car if the transmission is not in PARK or NEUTRAL (for auto transmission cars) or if the clutch has not been depressed all of the way (for manual transmission cars). If this switch were bad or if the transmission were not in PARK or NEUTRAL you might have this problem. The lights and other devices work, but you can't get the starter motor to work.

During the times when the car did not start, did you double check whether or not the shifter was all of the way engaged into park or neutral? Did you have to jiggle the shifter before it would start properly?

Perhaps you can ask the dealer to check the ignition cut off switch (or whatever the gizmo is formally called) and see if it might be causing problems.

Don't lose faith in your Ford. Hopefully you can track down this problem eventually and put your mind at ease.

Good luck!
IrvJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:04   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your input. On the trucks 3rd visit to the dealer I mentioned this to them since I tried to troubleshoot the problem myself by seeing if the truck would start in neutral (it is an automatic) - the 2 times I tried, it didn't start in neutral...or park for that matter.

The dealer assured me that they are "looking at everything, but the PCM is not recording any problems" and nothing can be fixed or repaired until the computer records the problem. Apparently the is the ability to put all kinds of technology into new vehicles, but no way to troubleshoot a problem....this was confirmed by my dealer.

I was in Massachusetts over the holidays and spoke with a mechanic at the Ford dealer that my father deals with there....he said that he thinks that it is a sensor in either the ignition, shifter, or on the tranny itself. He also added that it sounds like the shop guys working on my vehicle are only "parts replacers" not real mechanics...but I imagine that is open to debate.

I picked the truck up from its third visit to the dealer on New Years Eve...the truck was dead the morning of New Years Day...needless to say, I was ready to spit nails. I went out about an hour later and the truck started up just fine.

Any other thoughts out there? I am really at a loss and considering pursuing the lemon law in my state....

Thanks again for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvJr
Hi There,

Just a thought - perhaps it might be a problem with the ignition cut off switch? Most cars have a switch that prevents you from starting the car if the transmission is not in PARK or NEUTRAL (for auto transmission cars) or if the clutch has not been depressed all of the way (for manual transmission cars). If this switch were bad or if the transmission were not in PARK or NEUTRAL you might have this problem. The lights and other devices work, but you can't get the starter motor to work.

During the times when the car did not start, did you double check whether or not the shifter was all of the way engaged into park or neutral? Did you have to jiggle the shifter before it would start properly?

Perhaps you can ask the dealer to check the ignition cut off switch (or whatever the gizmo is formally called) and see if it might be causing problems.

Don't lose faith in your Ford. Hopefully you can track down this problem eventually and put your mind at ease.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2005, 23:45   #4 (permalink)
RATfink Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvJr
Hi There,
Just a thought - perhaps it might be a problem with the ignition cut off switch? Most cars have a switch that prevents you from starting the car if the transmission is not in PARK or NEUTRAL (for auto transmission cars) If this switch were bad or if the transmission were not in PARK or NEUTRAL you might have this problem. The lights and other devices work, but you can't get the starter motor to work.
yeah its called the prndl switch, or park neutral safety switch. good point about that.

[/QUOTE=IrvJr]During the times when the car did not start, did you double check whether or not the shifter was all of the way engaged into park or neutral? Did you have to jiggle the shifter before it would start properly.Good luck![/QUOTE]

Im Sorry bro but that couldnt be the problem1. hed have to put his key in to start the car and u wouldnt be able to take the key out in the first place if the car wasnt in park, and the only way to get it out of park is to press the brake, so it seems pretty rare that the shifter would jump out right before hed try to start it, but good suggestion.

[/QUOTE=IrvJr]Perhaps you can ask the dealer to check the ignition cut off switch (or whatever the gizmo is formally called) and see if it might be causing problems.[/QUOTE]

good idea. im sure these grease monkeys will find out whats wrong with it. there definetly not technicians. good luck bro
OlSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 10:56   #5 (permalink)

My 2005 Escape died while driving. (See my post?) Waiting for processor part to arrive. How goes it with you? R
2005EscapeLmtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:20   #6 (permalink)

Mine has not died while driving. However, it is in the shop AGAIN (4th time) for the same starting problem. I took it to a different dearlership this time to see if a new set of eyes can figure anything out. Sorry to hear about your problem, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one with 2005 problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005EscapeLmtd
My 2005 Escape died while driving. (See my post?) Waiting for processor part to arrive. How goes it with you? R
Old 10-10-2005, 16:00   #7 (permalink)

I had our 2005 Ford Escape in the garage for the first time and hopefully only time for not starting. Of course it started just fine for them. They said they checked everthing on the car and could find nothing wrong. They even checked Ford's data base for such problems and found no information. Have you found out what is causing your not starting problem?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:48   #8 (permalink)

The 4th (and final time) I had it in for this problem a Ford engineer from Dearborn directed the dealer to replace the FTP hose assembly and the ECC power relay. Their determination was that the truck was thinking it had no gas. The truck was fine until this past month when the engine died while driving. Needless to say, I'm filing Lemon Law in my state (FL) with this vehicle. I am highly disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank
I had our 2005 Ford Escape in the garage for the first time and hopefully only time for not starting. Of course it started just fine for them. They said they checked everthing on the car and could find nothing wrong. They even checked Ford's data base for such problems and found no information. Have you found out what is causing your not starting problem?
Old 11-03-2005, 15:27   #9 (permalink)

Recently, my 2005 Excape XLT died while driving. Turns out I had a cracked cynlider head that Ford replaced. When I asked the shop what would cause this they told me "overheating." I said that the truck did not overheat and they shrugged their sholders and said they didn't know what was wrong. Have you had any other problems with your Escape? Prior to the engine failure I had starting problems. Any insight is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005EscapeLmtd
Old 11-03-2005, 15:28   #10 (permalink)

Have you had any luck with your '05 Escape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum