Steps to Program 3-Button remotes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 19:34   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Steps to Program 3-Button remotes?

Can anyone please post the steps to program a 3-button remote on a 2007 Mercury Mariner? The dealership only gave me one remote fob but I kept one of my trade-in's (2004 Ford Freestar) fobs and it may just work. I'd like to try it anyway. But I think it's ridiculous that websites are trying to charge you for these steps. They were freely available for my Mazdas in those forums. I thought maybe someone could share them here. I did an extensive search of the web with no good results. TIA,

AM
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 19:49   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Steps to Program 3-Button remotes?

Starting on page 74 of your owners manual giives the instructions.
Old 07-19-2010, 20:41   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

CAUTION: All remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

1. The vehicle must be electronically unlocked before entering program mode (via the RKE transmitter or the door lock control switch while the driver door is open).
2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds , with the eighth turn ending in RUN. If the module successfully enters program mode, it locks and then unlocks all doors.
3. Within 20 seconds , press any button on an RKE transmitter; and the doors lock and then unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter is programmed. Repeat this step for each RKE transmitter.
4. If the door locks do not respond for any RKE transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Inspection and Verification in the Diagnosis and Testing. Make sure that no more than the maximum number of RKE transmitters are attempted to be programmed.
5. Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:

o The key transitions to the OFF position.
o Twenty seconds have passed since entering programming mode or since the last RKE transmitter was programmed.
o The maximum number of RKE transmitters are programmed.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 21:19   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

step one posted above isn't necessary, I don't know why they all say that, but definitely not needed.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:59   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks to all of you I have managed to salvage a three-button remote that I had kept from my Ford Freestar as a trade-in for my recently bought Mercury Mariner. Owner's manual was not in car when I bought it. I did manage to DL a PDF of the owner's manual just the other day but after my original post. And yes the procedure was listed in there. My fault for not getting the manual online before my post here. Amazingly, the three-button remote from my '04 Freestar does, indeed, work( perhaps, not so amazing, since the functions are limited and very basic and the remote works a vehicle in the Ford family). But what really concerns me now is how all mfg-ers now are going to transponder-chip keys and all the hoops you have to jump through to get spare keys anymore. The alternative of spending anywhere of up to $200 per cut and programmed key by the dealer is downright criminal. Is it not enough that almost all vehicles from 2005 to present come with an extensive security/anti-theft feature set (both passive and active) already built into the vehicle not counting the X-ponder key itself? Is society so paranoid that it accepts this kind of over-reaction built into our everyday appliances? What's next? Biometric scan of the thumbprint on the door handles? And then a retinal scan once in the driver's seat (just incase the would-be thief cut your thumb off). Oooops, that wouldn't be enough. He could easily dig your eyeball out too just to steal your car. Yeah I saw "Minority Report"
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum