Thumping sound in front end of 05 Escape - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 08:55   #1 (permalink)

Thumping sound in front end of 05 Escape

I have a 2005 Ford Escape. Lately it has started to make a thumping sound ( not a click or a squeak just a thump) in the front end. Especailly when taking off and turning to the left. Its a 4x4 and has right at 57000 miles. At first I thought it was a strut making noise but now I am not so sure. Any ideas?
tamir0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 17:43   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Thumping sound in front end of 05 Escape

Do the front tires have uneven or feather wear? Could be tires.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 20:41   #3 (permalink)

Definately not the tires, they are all 4 brand spankin new. Was making the sound before the new tires as well.
tamir0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 23:17   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamir0501
I have a 2005 Ford Escape. Lately it has started to make a thumping sound ( not a click or a squeak just a thump) in the front end. Especailly when taking off and turning to the left. Its a 4x4 and has right at 57000 miles. At first I thought it was a strut making noise but now I am not so sure. Any ideas?
Jack the noisy side leaving everything hanging and have a swing .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 13:24   #5 (permalink)

confused Re: Thumping sound in front end of 05 Escape

Nice to see someone else with the thumping/clunking front end. I have an '02 Escape, 2-wheel drive, and it started the noise about 50k miles, left turns, and (so far) only in cold weather. Good tires, regular maintenance. Any clues??? Sorry I can't help, other than join the mystery. oh ... it also happens over big bumps.
sastranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 19:33   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Front wheel bearing are a common issue with Escape also. Those have to be pressed out and new ones pressed in.
I suspect bearings. I just replaced one today on an Escape with 31,000 miles on it.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 16:06   #7 (permalink)

Has any one thought of the CV shafts? These are front wheel drive (or 4WD) and the half shafts do go out. Depending on abuse, driving conditions / habits, etc. could affect their life.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:36   #8 (permalink)

I had my 05 in for an oil change a while back, I had noticed some racket in the front end when driving over some rough payment ect, also sqeeking.

they told me it was in need of new torsion bars, and it was covered under warrrenty , hope this is some help
Costlyford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 15:16   #9 (permalink)

In October, 2006, I purchased a 2006 Ford Escape. The dealer assured me it had undergone the 115 point inspection to classify the vehicle as a "Ford Certifed Vehicle." Guess what? A few months after purchasing the vehicle, I took it back to the dealer. The tires were defective; they had bumps on the insides, the driver's side electric window was inoperative, the rear rotors were scored and the brakes were completely worn, and the vehicle was out of alignement. Why were all of these defects present? "I was told by the shop manager at the dealership that the mechanic who was entrusted to conduct the 115 point inspection and then certify the vehicle, had not done that. The manager told me the mechanic had been fired for falsifying records. So, where does that leave me? I and my family are driving around in a defective vehicle.

For the past two years, I have attempted to get some type resolve from the dealer and from Ford Motor Company. All I've received so far is the run-a-round. The dealer has gone out of business! Good news for me, huh?

I am going to contact an attorney and sue the dealer and Ford for FRAUD. If there may be any of you who have experienced such complaints with a Ford vehicle, and neither the dealer, nor Ford Motor Company will resolve your complaints, please post your message, and send me an email at sam61143@peoplepc.com. You and I are entitled to receive fair value for our hardearned dollars! Don't let these companies get away with defrauding us! If you won't take action to ensure your interests, nobody else will do it for you!

CFM

Last edited by Carl F. Miller; 12-04-2008 at 15:19. Reason: Spelling
Carl F. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum