trailer wiring - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 04:48   #1 (permalink)

trailer wiring

I just purchase a 2006 mercury mariner and was wondering what do I have to do and what is involved in getting this wired for a trailer. Their is already a hitch. I have wired in trailer lights on other cars it was just separating the factory plug and plugin in the new harness. Now i have seen where their is a converter in the harness and you have to run power to the battery . Is their two kinds of wiring harness for these mariners? Also read that it depends on what color of tail light lens you have . I am baffle please help
Thanks
bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 07:00   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: trailer wiring

Usually the "module " that comes with it is to prevent current draw on those circuits. The factory wiring were never designed to carry the load of trailer lights. Basically you T into factory lights and is the sent to through the module to trailer plug. The kits usually have 1 wire that runs to the battery to supply power to lights and module. Other systems use a similar module to convert the signal from factory lights. Those systems use a ground signal to turn lights on. The module would convert this to power to turn on the trailer lights since they are grounded through the trailer frame.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:02   #3 (permalink)

So which one do you advise to get? I would only use this trailer only a couple times a year
Old 09-29-2013, 16:07   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

I'm sure if you get one specific for that vehicle it will work just fine. A search or call to your local trailer supply/parts store probably has one for you. I'm sure it will have some sort if converter in it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:17   #5 (permalink)

thanks it cleared up allot of questions
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58   #6 (permalink)

Even though it looks like you had your question answered, you may want to check out this guide for future reference:

Trailer Wiring Diagram Guide - HitchAnything.com

Good luck!
focusdude771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum