Ford Forums banner

Vibration under load at 60 MPH

13K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
We own a 2013 Ford Escape SEL 4WD, 1.6L Ecoboost Engine, 6 Speed Select Shift Auto Trans, 45,000 miles. It has a vibration under load (acceleration) at about 60 MPH. It is especially bad if I am going around a curve while accelerating. It is beginning to feel dangerous. The vibration completely goes away if I let off the gas or if I accelerate to 70-75MPH. We have taken it to the dealer several times while it was under warranty, but they never found anything. One issue is it would require a 45 min. test drive to get it into the mountains from Denver where the vibration is the worst and the dealer has never agreed to do that. Is it possible it is a bad plug or electrical problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
It does for both wheel balance and bearing. With balance, you may have hit a harmonic point that the weights don't like. It used to be more common on older tires where the material wasn't as uniform as they are today. After a period of wear, the tire would no longer exhibit the same balance it did new. Technology and improved material has made this phenomena diminish, but it can still happen.

Bearing wear can also exhibit the same, as a defect can, at certain speeds, be more pronounced than at others.

As Logan pointed out, mounts can also give a vibration, as the engine works harder, more stress is applied to the mounts, apply more and the mount tends to stay separated, thus, the appearance of less vibration.

Over all, you have some poking to do. To check the mounts, if it isn't visibly obvious, apply the parking brake and have someone put it in drive with their foot on the brake and slowly press the accelerator while you observe the engine. DARWIN ALERT!!! Shouldn't have to say this, but I will anyway, please don't stand in front of the car and make sure nothing is directly in front of it.

#6 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I took it to my Ford Dealer (Larry Miller Ford, Denver, CO) and asked them to check all the suggested causes. The invoice says there was a computer code that indicated a drive line problem. They found the right front inner axle boot was torn and all the grease was gone. They replaced the right front axle and seals under warranty ($725 without warranty, in included paperwork). I test drove in the mountains last night and the problem seems to be solved. Ironically the left front axle assembly was replaced at 36K miles also under warranty. Hope the problem is solved for a while now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.