Wanting to buy an Escape??????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 18:08   #1 (permalink)

Question Wanting to buy an Escape???????

Hi people,

I was planning on buying a Ford Escape this but now that I have read all these posts, I'm having second thoughts. What do you recommend for opinions?
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Wanting to buy an Escape???????

Escape is really not a bad vehicle. The 3.0L engine is pretty reliable and lots of power. They do seem to wear tires faster than normal and have a few common sensors that go bad like the low coolant sensor in the reservoir. The front link pins wear out and make noise after time and lower control arm bushings are common.

That's about all I can think of bad about the Escape.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 19:44   #3 (permalink)

What is a good year to buy?
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:31   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

2003-2005
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:05   #5 (permalink)

Joey, I have a 2005 Escape Limited - and I haven't had one issue since buying. I am not sure where you are, but in Australia ours are made in Japan next to Mazda's production line - so from what I can tell from reading on the various forums, we get less issues (its a build quality thing ..).
Anyway, its a great car that gives you a close to car feeling, but at the same time lets you get your wheels dirty if you decide to go off-road (but I wouldn't push it in those stakes).
Definietly go for the V6, as I have heard the 2.3L (4 cyclinder) is underpowered for this car. The V6 is powerful, and has got alot of punch in it. Also, if you want to save $$, you can do some of the servicing yourself, its actually not a hard or complicated car to work on (ie..changing oil, oil filters, sparks..etc)

Fuel consumption(mileage) is good, provided your not a "lead-foot". Start pushing her "hard" and she'll make you pay !

Transmission is good (more like just o.k). Can be a bit hard between changes, but again depends on how you drive it. This particular transmisssion actually likes being "flogged", and in my experience I find smoother changes with hard acceleration - sounds strange, but thats my edxperience !. - I have only heard of one transmission failure I know of, and it wasn't a Ford Escape it was a 2002 Mazda Tribute that had done ALOT of towing after about 3 years (transmission went dead just as the warranty ran out - poor bastard !) - so if your intending on doing alot of towing, probably look elsewhere.

Handling is o.k for a 4x4, but I must admit the ride is a bit hard & firm. It really makes you feel the bumps and holes in the road as you go over them - so I keep my tyres down to just above minimum pressure -helps dampen the shock some-what. So if your after a soft or lush ride - look elsewhere ! (ie..like Toyota Kluger). Wondering if anyone else has this feeling about harsh ride in the Escape ? (any solution for this ...??)

Else the Escape is a great 4x4. The remarks you here in this forum are pretty rare cases, so I would probably be surprised if you had any of the same issues, but be-aware if your buying second hand though. Here in Australia very few are on the 2nd hand market because they are such good/reliable and economic cars - so if someone's getting rid of it early - its usually because it has problems.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum