What should I buy? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01   #1 (permalink)

Question What should I buy?

Hi Escape owners, I've been perusing the forums doing research on the Escape and was hoping I could get some info/recomendations.

I've owned a couple of Fords and have had pretty good luck them. My latest vehicle was an 97 Explorer Sport (I've owned since year 2000, 45,000 miles). This vehicle is has 200,000+ miles and so far no major tranny or engine issues. I've had a couple expensive repairs - t-case and suspension issues but all pretty much expected since I use the vehicle (easy) off-road in Colorado.

The main things I am looking for in a vehicle are:
- Reliability (no major engine or tranny problems)
- Room for 2 adults, 1 kid, 1 big dog and a bunch of camping gear
- Decent gas mileage (anything better than the 14-16 mpg I get in my current ride) I would like to get 25-30 for hwy driving.
- Driving in snow
- Off road capability - easy logging roads, fire service roads, etc... nothing hard-core

I've been looking at new and pre-owned vehicles for awhile now and I think I've narrowed my selection down to the Escape and Forester that meet the above criteria. So, I have a few questions about the Escape:

Driving in the Colorado mountains, I-70, 285 and the like, will the I4 be way underpowered? Will I be pushing the engine to the limit with the amount of people and gear I listed above? If I go with the I4, can I expect to get 25-30 driving cross country?

Do people use their escapes for offroad-lite? How do they do? Will I need AWD or 4WD for this? Note - I rarely needed 4wd in the explorer - but there were a few times it saved my hide.

How reliable are these vehicles? it sounds like there are alot of tranny problems in the late models? are there any specific trannys to stay away from? How is the CVT holding up?

Any particular model years to stay away from? any to look at?

Anyone run FWD with snow tires as opposed to AWD w/ all terrains? How does it do on the snow and ice?

Lots of questions, I know - but hoping to get some answers from real users and not from the stealership salesman.

Thanks in advance!
old_explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: What should I buy?

Ideal for your needs re. off road capability - easy logging roads, fire service roads, ,not underpowered , kids would love it , no one will get in your way ( if so , just roll over the top of them ) but m.p.g not great .

Sherman Tank for sale
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 15:44   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If the tank won't do, wait a few and several guys know about them here. wptski for one.
Old 01-17-2011, 15:56   #4 (permalink)

A sherman would indeed be a sweet offroad vehicle. Tree or rock gets in your way BLAMMM! no more. I might have trouble getting in and out of my one-car garage though.
old_explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 15:59   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I think you'd be able to nudge your way in with it.
Old 01-17-2011, 18:41   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_explorer View Post
A sherman would indeed be a sweet offroad vehicle. Tree or rock gets in your way BLAMMM! no more. I might have trouble getting in and out of my one-car garage though.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:04   #7 (permalink)

My daughter has a 2010 escape and while we have had some transmission issues Ford has been great about fixing and the fixes are simple to do. we are in Colorado and she goes to school in California so we have driven i-70 a few times. the v-6 does a great job with the hills, mileage is about 21 at 75-80

The only thing I would be concerned about is the rear suspension. I am not sure what the part is called bit there are 2 lower arms on the rear suspension that just seem low and just looking to get bent offroad

Also there is not that much room behind the rear seats for a dog and luggage? You may need to go up in size?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford-Escape_Limited_2005_800x600_wallpaper_05.jpg (35.8 KB, 1 views)
komondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 16:45   #8 (permalink)

The I4 is a bit doggy from a dead stop but not bad once you get it rolling but might not be the ticket for hilly country. If you had a Explorer, you might be better off with a V6.

The 6F35 transmission used starting in '09 is/was a source of problems like leaks and shifting issues.

The 4WD is always ON and you have rear wheel torque every time you leave from a dead stop no matter what the driving condition is. As you reach a steady speed it slowly drops to zero.

Some people talking about driving in snow with their Escapes and you'd swear they were talking about a F250 4x4 and some don't even have 4WD!

'09 Ford Escape Limited, V6, 4WD
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:53   #9 (permalink)

To me, the escape seems to be a bit of a rough ride on less than smooth terrain. I would go with the explorer or expedition. Slightly worse gas mileage, better value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum