Winter Tires? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 19:25   #1 (permalink)
HP

Winter Tires?

Hi, has anyone used the Michelin all-season tires that come with the 2008 or 2009 Escapes, during a winter? I am tossing around the idea of using my almost new all-seasons for the first winter and going with winter tires next year. I have done this in the past many times and it's worked out, but I am not sure about the Escape's tires that are supposedly designed to improve fuel economy. Thanks in advance for any info.
hpurchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 17:10   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Winter Tires?

Fuel economy in winter? I would just leave them on unless you plan going out driving right after a heavy snowfall. Even so, any vehicle would benefit from a winter tire as the rubber is more pliable in colder temperatures whereas A/S tires are still pliable, but all I do with my vehicles is lower the air pressure a bit in winter, to around 30psi providing max pressure is 35-40psi. I generally run 34-36psi in my passenger ('P' designated) tires in the summer months for better handling, mileage and wear. Lowering the air pressure even by a few pounds can increase grip in any tire, even winter tires although there is no real need for it. I wouldn't be concerned with fuel economy in the winter unless you just hop in, start up the vehicle and drive without any warm up time. Where I travel in winter hotels don't ask you if you want a smoking or non-smoking room, they ask you if you want a cord to plug in your vehicles block heater so when you leave in the morning at -52C, you'll actually be able to leave!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum