WTF will it take to get action on this dangerous sticky gas pedal problem? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum This forum is for discussion of the Ford Escape, C-MAX, the Ford Escape Hybrid and the Mercury Mariner.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 06:14   #1 (permalink)

WTF will it take to get action on this dangerous sticky gas pedal problem?

Culled from the NHTSA complaints database:

Make : FORD Model : ESCAPE Year : 2005
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10369102 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 1, 2010
VIN : Not Available
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Summary:
WHEN WEATHER GETS COLD ACCELERATOR PEDAL GETS STUCK WHEN TRYING TO START VEHICLE AND STICKY WHEN DRIVING FOR A TIME AFTER THAT.SOMETIMES FEELS LIKE IT DOESNT WANT TO STOP AT STOP SIGNS OR LIGHTS, LIKE ITS STILL GETTING FUEL. DEALER WANTED TO CHANGE OUT THROTTLE BODY FOR AN OUTRAGEOUS AMOUNT. FROM MY RESEARCH THIS IS A WIDE SPREAD PROBLEM.

Check to Request Research. Submit below.
ODI ID Number : 10368993 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 25, 2010
VIN : 1FMCU92Z65K...
Component: UNKNOWN OR OTHER
Summary:
WHILE THE 2005 FORD ESCAPE WAS BEING DRIVEN ON A FOUR-LANE ROAD, THE GAS PEDAL STOPPED WORKING. THE CAR WAS GOING DOWNHILL AND THE DRIVER STEERED IT INTO A PARKING LOT. THERE, ON CLOSER INSPECTION UNDER THE DASHBOARD, IT WAS EVIDENT THAT THE THROTTLE CABLE HAD FAILED WHERE IT CONNECTS TO THE TOP OF THE ARTICULATING ARM OF THE GAS-PEDAL: DEPRESSING THE PEDAL DID NOT PULL THE CABLE; THE CABLE END PROTRUDED THROUGH A LITTLE TUBE AT THE TOP OF THE ARM, BUT WAS NOT ATTACHED TO THE ARTICULATING ARM. THE ARM MOVED FREELY WITHOUT ENGAGING THE CABLE. THIS FAILURE HAD RESULTED IN SUDDEN AND COMPLETE INABILITY TO ACCELERATE -- NO THROTTLE. UNDER CERTAIN DRIVING CONDITIONS (E.G. MERGING ONTO A HIGHWAY OR CROSSING A BUSY INTERSECTION WHERE CROSS-TRAFFIC IS NOT REQUIRED TO STOP AT A STOP SIGN OR A RED LIGHT) THIS SYSTEM FAILURE HAS A HIGH CHANCE OF RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH. IN THE PARKING LOT, THE OWNER ATTACHED A PAIR OF NEEDLE-NOSE VISE-GRIP PLIERS TO THE END OF THE CABLE AT THE TOP OF THE ARTICULATING ARM OF THE GAS PEDAL, AS A TEMPORARY FIX, AND DROVE THE CAR TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP ABOUT A MILE AWAY. AFTER INSPECTING THE CAR, THE FORD DEALERSHIP SERVICE DEPARTMENT ASCRIBED THE FAILURE TO "THROTTLE BODY BINDING" AND ADVISED COMPLETE REPLACEMENT OF THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY AND CABLE.

ODI ID Number : 10367448 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: October 10, 2006
VIN : 1FMYU92Z35K...
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
Summary:
THE GAS PEDAL INTERMITTENTLY STICKS WHICH CAUSES SUDDEN AND QUICK DECELERATION. IT FEELS LIKE A BRICK IS UNDERNEATH THE PEDAL. NO MATTER HOW HARD I PUSH DOWN, THE PEDAL DOESN'T BUDGE. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN, THE PEDAL WILL WORK AGAIN. IT IS A SERIOUS SAFETY ISSUE. I DID SOME RESEARCH ON THE INTERNET AND IT LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE HAD THIS SAME ISSUE WITH FORD CARS. SOME PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN INTO ACCIDENTS BECAUSE OF IT. I SPOKE WITH FORD'S CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEY SAID THEY DIDN'T CONSIDER IT A SAFETY ISSUE. THEY TOOK MY NAME AND SOME OTHER BASIC INFORMATION, THEN SPENT MOST OF THE TIME TRYING TO GET ME OFF OF THE PHONE. I TRIED TO EXPLAIN THAT THIS IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE SUDDEN ACCELERATION PROBLEM THAT TOYOTA WAS HAVING, WITH THE ONLY TWO DIFFERENCES BEING THE CAR DECELERATES AS OPPOSED TO ACCELERATES AND THAT NO ONE HAS BEEN KILLED YET. FORD TOLD ME IF I WAS CONCERNED, I SHOULD GET MY CAR FIXED AND THAT THEY WOULD NOT PAY FOR IT. THESE VEHICLES NEED TO BE RECALLED BEFORE SOMEONE GETS SERIOUSLY INJURED OR KILLED.

ODI ID Number : 10353585 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: September 1, 2010
VIN : 1FMYU92Z35K...
Summary:
MY GAS PEDAL WAS STICKING OFF AND ON A FEW DAYS BEFORE SEPT, 1, 2010. ON SEPT. 1, 2010 I WAS DRIVING AND THE GAS PEDAL CABLE WENT. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF GAS PEDAL JUST BREAKING. I WAS ON BUSY STREET AND LOST ALL POWER. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10334700 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: June 2, 2010
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER
Summary:
THE GAS PEDAL OF MY 2005 FORD ESCAPE SOME TIMES GETS STACK TO THE POINT WHERE I CAN'T ACCELERATE NO MATTER HOW MUCH WEIGHT I PUT ON IT. IT NORMALLY HAPPENS AFTER IT HAS BEEN IDLE FOR MANY HOURS AND GOES AWAY AFTER DRIVING FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES. IT WAS LIKE THAT SINCE I BOUGHT IT TWO YEARS AGO AND HAS BEEN GETTING WORST LATELY. I TOOK IT TO LOCAL FORD DEALER AND THEY TEST DROVE AND SAID THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. ON 6/2/2010, I GOT STACK IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUSY INTERSECTION AND NEARLY GOT HIT FROM THE REAR AND FROM BOTH SIDES. IT TOOK ME MORE THAN TWO MINUTES BEFORE I COULD ACCELERATE AGAIN. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10334098 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 28, 2009
Summary:
WE HAD TO HAVE THE THROTTLE BODY REPLACED ON OUR 2005 FORD ESCAPE. PRIOR TO REPLACEMENT YOU COULD BE DRIVING AND THE GAS PEDAL WOULD FREEZE UP AND YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PUSH IT DOWN. IT WOULD STICK AS IF SOMETHING WAS BEHIND IT, AND NOTHING WAS. I WAS NEVER IN AN ACCIDENT, HOWEVER WHEN YOU PULL OUT TO MERGE INTO TRAFFIC AND YOU CAN NOT ACCELERATE BECAUSE THE PEDAL WON'T GO DOWN, IT IS AMAZING YOU ARE NOT IN AN ACCIDENT. I FOUND SEVERAL PEOPLE ON-LINE WITH THE SAME ISSUE WHEN I SEARCHED FORD ESCAPE STICKY PEDAL. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10325129 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: April 10, 2010
VIN : 1FMCU02Z55K...
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2005 FORD ESCAPE. THE CONTACT STARTED THE IGNITION IN THE MORNING ON A COLD START, AND WHEN ACCELERATING THERE WAS A DELAY IN THE RESPONSE TIME. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER WHERE THE TECHNICIAN STATED THAT THERE WAS WATER IN THE THROTTLE BODY WHICH COULD CAUSE SPEED CONTROL FAILURE SUCH AS A STUCK THROTTLE. THE THROTTLE WAS REPLACED FOR THE MALFUNCTION. THE IDENTICAL FAILURE OCCURRED ON A SEPARATE OCCASION. THE CONTACT HAD CONCERN OF A POTENTIAL SAFETY HAZARD INVOLVING A COMPLETE LOSS OF POWER UNDER ACCELERATION. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 12,000. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 76,000. THE CONTACT STATED THERE WAS A COMPLAINT PREVIOUSLY FILED WITH THE IDENTICAL FAILURES.

ODI ID Number : 10323464 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: April 1, 2010
VIN : 1FMCU02Z75K...
Summary:
MY 2005 FORD ESCAPE HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE ACCELERATOR STICKING. IT USED TO ONLY STICK IN COLD WEATHER RIGHT WHEN I STARTED THE CAR, BUT NOW IT DOES IT REGARDLESS OF TEMPERATURE, AND EVEN WHILE DRIVING. I WENT FROM HAVING THIS PROBLEM MAYBE ONCE EVERY THREE MONTHS (APPROX 3 YEARS AGO WAS THE FIRST OCCURRENCE), TO IT HAPPENING ALMOST EVERY TIME I DRIVE THE CAR. WHEN IT STICKS, I CANNOT ACCELERATE AT ALL. I WILL USE BOTH FEET TO TRY AND DEPRESS THE GAS, BUT IT IS LIKE PUSHING AGAINST A WALL. SOMETIMES SIMPLY RESTARTING THE CAR FIXES IT, BUT I WAS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSECTION YESTERDAY WHEN IT FROZE UP HALF-WAY THROUGH THE TURN. I HAD TO BE PUSHED TO THE SHOULDER. LUCKILY THERE WAS NOT TOO MUCH ONCOMING TRAFFIC THAT WOULD HAVE RISKED AN ACCIDENT. I HAVE LOOKED THIS UP ONLINE, AND MANY OTHER ESCAPE OWNERS DISCUSS THIS VERY SAME PROBLEM. I CALLED THE FORD DEALERSHIP, AND THEY SAID THAT THIS IS NOT A RECALL, BUT IT VERY MUCH SHOULD BE. I AM TAKING IT IN TO BE LOOKED AT, AND HOPEFULLY THEY CAN FIX IT, BUT THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A MANUFACTURER DEFECT IF SO MANY OTHER OWNERS ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE. FORD DOES NOT WANT THE SAME REPUTATION AS TOYOTA RIGHT NOW, AND THEY SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT PROACTIVELY. THE ESCAPE IS A MID-SIZE SUV THAT MANY FAMILIES OWN. BY THE TIME A MOTHER AND HER TWO CHILDREN ARE KILLED SIMPLY TURNING ACROSS A STREET, IT WILL BE TOO LATE.

ODI ID Number : 10321263 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: March 19, 2010
VIN : 1FMCU92Z85K...
Summary:
I LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND FRIDAY MORNING GOT UP AND THERE WAS FROST ON THE WINDSHIELD. I GOT IN THE 2005 FORD ESCAPE LET IT WARM UP FOR ABOUT 5 MINS. DROVE APPROX 1 & 1/2 MILES STOPPED AT A STOP SIGN TO TURN OUT ON A MAIN ROAD AND PRESSED THE GAS PEDAL AND THE VEHICLE WOULD NOT MOVE. I LET IT ROLL BACKWARDS TO A SAFE PLACE AND TURNED IT OFF. I TRIED IT MANY TIMES FOR OVER 30 MINUTES AND IT FINALLY WORKED. THIS HAPPENS MORE OFTEN IN COLD WEATHER BUT USUALLY AFTER 5 MINS. IT WILL WORK. THIS TIME WAS DIFFERENT AND MORE SCARY AS I WAS ATTEMPTING TO PULL OUT ON TO A MAIN ROAD. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10306357 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: February 4, 2010
VIN : 1FMYU02Z45K...
Summary:
I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2005 FORD ESCAPE FROM MY COUSIN. AS I WAS PURCHASING THE VEHICLE HE DID EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE PEDAL WOULD STICK ON COLD DAYS. GOING INTO BUYING IT FROM HIM I SOON REALIZED WHAT HE MEANT. HE HAD TAKEN IT IN TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP TO GET IT FIXED. THEY SPRAYED A CLEANER ON THE THROTTLE BODY TO REMOVE RESIDUE. WHEN I HEARD OF THE TOYOTA RECALL I CALLED WHOOLWHINE FORD LINCOLN MERCURY HERE IN MS WHERE I LIVE TO SEE IF MY VEHICLE WAS ALSO ONE. I WAS TOLD THAT THIS WAS NOT THE FIRST TIME HE HAD HEARD THIS AND TO SPRAY STUFF IN THE THROTTLE BODY UNTIL IT WOULDN'T LET ME ANYMORE. WELL, I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT THIS SITUATION. AS A MOM WITH A SMALL CHILD, I WORRY ABOUT THE MAJORITY OF OTHER PEOPLE AND FAMILIES THAT MY DIE FROM THIS MALFUNCTION. WHAT IT DOES IS THE PEDAL GETS SO HARD TO PUSH UNTIL YOU CAN NOT GET GAS TO THE IGNITION TO MAKE THE VEHICLE GO. I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME SEVERAL TIMES. I CAN EVEN CRANK THE ESCAPE LONG BEFORE MY JOURNEY AND IT STILL STICKS. WELL, YESTERDAY WAS THE WORST DAY EVER. I AM A MOM AND A STUDENT IN SCHOOL. I HAD GOTTEN TO SCHOOL AND FINISHED MY CLASS WHEN IT WAS TIME TO LEAVE. I GOT IN THE VEHICLE AND STARTED TO LEAVE OH BOY THE PEDAL WORKED. I GOT TO THE FIRST INTERSECTION TO WHERE WHEN IT WAS MY TIME TO GO THE PEDAL WAS HARD. I HAD TO COAST THROUGH IT AND PULL OVER. FINALLY GOT IT SOFT AGAIN AND WENT TO THE CLOSEST PLACE TO GET A BITE TO EAT. SAT THERE FOR AT LEAST 5 MIN LETTING IT RUN HOPING IT WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM FOR THAT TIME. WHEN I WAS LEAVING IT WAS HARD AGAIN AND I HAD ALOT OF VEHICLES BEHIND ME SO I COASTED TO THE NEAREST BANK. IT TOOK 10 MINUTES FOR ME, WHILE I KEPT PUSHING ON MY GAS PEDAL FOR NOTHING. IT IS SO HARD YOU CANT MAKE IT GO. SO, IN TELLING YOU THIS THAT IS 3 TIMES I COULD OF HAD A CRASH. I TAKE MY DAUGHTER TO SCHOOL AND SOME MORNING I PRAY ALL THE WAY THAT I MAKE IT WITHOUT ANYTHING HARMING HER. IT IS BAD WHEN YOU END UP COASTING THROUGH AN INTERSECTION. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10306357 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: February 4, 2010
Summary:
I RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2005 FORD ESCAPE FROM MY COUSIN. AS I WAS PURCHASING THE VEHICLE HE DID EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE PEDAL WOULD STICK ON COLD DAYS. GOING INTO BUYING IT FROM HIM I SOON REALIZED WHAT HE MEANT. HE HAD TAKEN IT IN TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP TO GET IT FIXED. THEY SPRAYED A CLEANER ON THE THROTTLE BODY TO REMOVE RESIDUE. WHEN I HEARD OF THE TOYOTA RECALL I CALLED WHOOLWHINE FORD LINCOLN MERCURY HERE IN MS WHERE I LIVE TO SEE IF MY VEHICLE WAS ALSO ONE. I WAS TOLD THAT THIS WAS NOT THE FIRST TIME HE HAD HEARD THIS AND TO SPRAY STUFF IN THE THROTTLE BODY UNTIL IT WOULDN'T LET ME ANYMORE. WELL, I AM VERY WORRIED ABOUT THIS SITUATION. AS A MOM WITH A SMALL CHILD, I WORRY ABOUT THE MAJORITY OF OTHER PEOPLE AND FAMILIES THAT MY DIE FROM THIS MALFUNCTION. WHAT IT DOES IS THE PEDAL GETS SO HARD TO PUSH UNTIL YOU CAN NOT GET GAS TO THE IGNITION TO MAKE THE VEHICLE GO. I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO ME SEVERAL TIMES. I CAN EVEN CRANK THE ESCAPE LONG BEFORE MY JOURNEY AND IT STILL STICKS. WELL, YESTERDAY WAS THE WORST DAY EVER. I AM A MOM AND A STUDENT IN SCHOOL. I HAD GOTTEN TO SCHOOL AND FINISHED MY CLASS WHEN IT WAS TIME TO LEAVE. I GOT IN THE VEHICLE AND STARTED TO LEAVE OH BOY THE PEDAL WORKED. I GOT TO THE FIRST INTERSECTION TO WHERE WHEN IT WAS MY TIME TO GO THE PEDAL WAS HARD. I HAD TO COAST THROUGH IT AND PULL OVER. FINALLY GOT IT SOFT AGAIN AND WENT TO THE CLOSEST PLACE TO GET A BITE TO EAT. SAT THERE FOR AT LEAST 5 MIN LETTING IT RUN HOPING IT WOULD FIX THE PROBLEM FOR THAT TIME. WHEN I WAS LEAVING IT WAS HARD AGAIN AND I HAD ALOT OF VEHICLES BEHIND ME SO I COASTED TO THE NEAREST BANK. IT TOOK 10 MINUTES FOR ME, WHILE I KEPT PUSHING ON MY GAS PEDAL FOR NOTHING. IT IS SO HARD YOU CANT MAKE IT GO. SO, IN TELLING YOU THIS THAT IS 3 TIMES I COULD OF HAD A CRASH. I TAKE MY DAUGHTER TO SCHOOL AND SOME MORNING I PRAY ALL THE WAY THAT I MAKE IT WITHOUT ANYTHING HARMING HER. IT IS BAD WHEN YOU END UP COASTING THROUGH AN INTERSECTION. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10304400 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: June 1, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU93175K...
Summary:
I HAVE A 2005 FORD ESCAPE (4WD), NOT THE HYBRID. I HAVE APPROX. 63,000 MI ON IT NOW. THREE TIMES SINCE I'VE OWNED IT THE CAR HAS SUDDENLY STARTED ACCELERATING ON IT'S OWN. THE LAST TIME WAS APPROX. THE DATE BELOW, AND THAT WAS THE ONLY TIME I WAS USING THE CRUISE CONTROL. ONE TIME I WAS IN TOWN AND LUCKILY THERE WASN'T ANYONE CLOSE IN FRONT OF ME. SO FAR BRAKING, OR PRESSING THE ACCELERATOR HAS "RESET" IT, BUT NOW SEEING THIS PROBLEM WITH THE TOYOTA'S I'M CONCERNED. I E-MAILED FORD ABOUT THE PROBLEM, HOWEVER I KIND OF GOT THE BRUSH-OFF, AND THEY JUST SAID IF I WAS CONCERNED I SHOULD TAKE IT TO MY DEALER AND HAVE IT CHECKED. I KNOW A "CHECK" WOULD COST ME A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM FOR WHICH THEY WON'T FIND THE PROBLEM. I JUST WONDER IF YOU'VE HEARD OF ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM? IT NOW WORRIES ME THAT IF I WERE NEARING A CROSSWALK, WITH PEDESTRIANS CROSSING AND IT HAPPENED, I MIGHT HIT SOMEONE. PLEASE ADVISE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10302922 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: January 3, 2010
Summary:
I AM WONDERING WILL THERE BE ANY RECALLS ON OTHER CARS OTHER THAN TOYOTA RELATED TO GAS PEDALS STICKING? MY FORD ESCAPE'S GAS PEDAL WOULD GET STUCK AND AFTER TAKING IT TO MY LOCAL DEALER THEY SAID IT WAS THE THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY THAT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. I HAD TO WAIT 2 WEEKS FOR THE PART TO COME IN FROM CHINA. IS THERE ANY RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN WHAT IS GOING ON WITH TOYOTA AND MY PROBLEM I HAD WITH FORD. THIS WAS A SAFETY ISSUE THAT IS BEING OVERLOOKED BY FORD. *TW

ODI ID Number : 10302121 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: January 24, 2010
VIN : 1FMYU02Z65K...
Summary:
MY 2005 FORD ESCAPE'S GAS PEDAL IS STICKING. I WILL BE SITTING AT AN INTERSECTION, AND SUDDENLY WHEN PRESSING THE GAS PEDAL IT WILL NOT ACCELERATE. IT IS AS IF THERE IS A BRICK UNDER THE PEDAL AND IT'S COMPLETELY STUCK. THIS HAS HAPPENED AT NUMEROUS TIMES WHEN ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE FORWARD INTO AN INTERSECTION OR WHEN PULLING OUT INTO TRAFFIC, AND HAS ALMOST CAUSED A SEVERE ACCIDENT. THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS REPORTS OF THIS HAPPENING TO FORD ESCAPES, SO PLEASE INVESTIGATE FURTHER BEFORE THERE ARE ANY ADDITIONAL INJURIES OR DEATHS. THERE NEEDS TO BE A RECALL. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10300337 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: January 8, 2008
VIN : 1FMYU02ZX5D...
Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
Summary:
THE GAS PEDAL STICKS WHEN ITS COLD OUT, FIRST I THOUGHT THERE WAS WATER FROZEN AFTER MY FEET WAS WET FROM THE SNOW. SECOND I THOUGHT THE HEAT FROM THE HEATER DRIED OUT THE MOVEMENT OF THE GAS PEDAL. SO I SPRAYED WD40 ON IT DIDN'T HELP, NEXT THOUGHT IT WAS THE CABLE OUT IN THE ENGINE, I SPRAYED THE CABLE AND LINKAGE DIDN'T HELP. FINALLY IT WARMED UP AND THE STICKING OF THE GAS PEDAL WENT AWAY (2008) NOW IN 2009 THE SAME THING AFTER THE CAR WARMS UP ITS OK, NOT SURE IF SOMETHING IS BINDING OR WHAT. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10296032 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 10, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU02Z95K...
Summary:
GAS PETAL STICKS WHEN TRYING TO ACCELERATE, ESPECIALLY IN COLD WEATHER. THIS HAS LEFT ME STUCK IN TRAFFIC, IN TURNING LANES, @ STOP LIGHTS NOT ABLE TO MOVE MY CAR. BIG SAFETY ISSUE. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10295616 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 16, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU93Z45K...
Summary:
GAS PEDAL APPEARS TO GET STUCK ON OCCASION. I THOUGHT THE CAR MAT WAS STUCK UNDER IT, BUT THE MAT IS SECURED TO THE FLOOR. I HAVE TO PUSH THE VERY TOP OF THE PEDAL TO GET IT TO ACCELERATE. THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ME UNTIL I READ OTHER PEOPLE WERE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10295127 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 6, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU03Z95K...
Summary:
I HAVE A 2005 FORD ESCAPE AND WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE GAS PEDAL STICKING. WHEN PRESSING ON THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL, IT WOULD NOT MOVE. I TOOK MY VEHICLE TO THE DEALER AND THEY REPLACED THE THROTTLE BODY. THIS PART HAS BEEN REPLACED THREE TIMES. [12/20/06, 10/8/08 AND 12/6/09] THE PART IS EVIDENTLY DEFECTIVE AND CAUSES A SAFETY ISSUE. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR IT TO GET FIXED EVERY TIME. THEY NEED TO ISSUE A RECALL. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10295103 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 9, 2009
Summary:
ACCELERATOR PEDAL KEEPS GETTING STUCK. WHILE DRIVING MY SON TO SCHOOL THIS MORNING I TURNED THE CORNER PRESSED THE ACCELERATOR IT FELT LIKE A BRICK WAS UNDER THE PEDAL. LUCKILY I WAS ABLE TO JUST GLIDE TO THE CURB BEFORE GETTING STRUCK BY A BUS. SCARED THE "BLEEP" OUT OF BOTH OF US. IT'S NOT THE FIRST TIME IT HAS HAPPENED, USUALLY IT HAPPENS IN THE WINTER AFTER SITTING OVERNITE. HELP WHAT IS THE PROBLEM SO I CAN GET THIS FIXED. THIS IS VERY, VERY, VERY DANGEROUS. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10293677 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 26, 2009
Summary:
ACCELERATOR GETS STUCK. WAS OKAY UNTIL ABOUT 100,000 MILES AND THEN WITHOUT WARNING, COULD NOT PRESS THE ACCELERATOR. WAS IN AN INTERSECTION AND ALMOST GOT HIT. COULDN'T EVEN PRESS IT IF I "STOMPED" ON IT. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10292358 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: October 30, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU02Z35K...
Summary:
1. THE PAST THREE WINTERS MY VEHICLE HAS GROWN WORSE WITH THE GAS PEDAL STICKING IN THE COLD / RAINY MONTHS. 2. IT OCCURS DURING THE COLD / RAINY MONTHS 3. I HAVE NOT TAKEN IT TO A DEALERSHIP. BASED ON THE RESEARCH I HAVE CONDUCTED I AM SHOWING QUITE A DEAL OF MANY PEOPLE WHO OWN THE 2005 FORD ESCAPE ARE HAVING THIS IDENTICAL ISSUE -- THIS IS A HUGE SAFETY CONCERN AND I FEEL IF NOT RECALLED SOMEONE IS GOING TO BECOME SERIOUSLY INJURED IF NOT DIE FROM THIS. I AM HAVING MY VEHICLE LOOKED AT FOR IN THE PAST TWO DAYS ALONE I HAVE ALMOST HAD FIVE ACCIDENTS AS THE GAS PEDAL STICKS DURING THE FIRST 20 MINUTES OR SO OF WARMING UP. *TR

Crash : Yes Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10290404 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: October 30, 2009
Summary:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2005 FORD ESCAPE. WHILE ENTERING A PARKING SPACE SHE LIGHTLY APPLIED PRESSURE TO THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL, AND THEN THE VEHICLE ACCELERATED WITHOUT INTENTION. BRAKE APPLICATION WOULD NOT STOP THE VEHICLE AS A CONSEQUENCE SHE CRASHED INTO CABLES OF A WALL. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO A LOCAL REPAIR FACILITY. A MECHANIC CONCLUDED THAT SHOULD WOULD HAVE TO PAY UP TO $2000.00 IN REPAIRS. THE MODEL YEAR WAS EXCLUDED FROM RECALL # 04V574000 (VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CABLES). THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGES WERE 60000.THE VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER WAS UNAVAILABLE.

ODI ID Number : 10289782 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: October 25, 2009
Summary:
I OWN A 2005 FORD ESCAPE AND THE GAS PEDAL STICKS IN PLACE. YOU CANNOT PRESS DOWN ON THE PEDAL TO INCREASE YOUR SPEED. FORD STATES THERE IS NO PROBLEM.......IT DOES IT NO MATTER WHAT THE TEMPERATURE IS, WHAT TIME OF DAY, ETC. YOU PRESS DOWN AND THE GAS PEDAL REMAINS IN PLACE. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10280978 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: July 17, 2009
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2005 FORD ESCAPE. WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 10 MPH ON NORMAL ROAD CONDITIONS PRESSURE WAS APPLIED TO THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL; HOWEVER, THE VEHICLE FAILED TO ACCELERATE. THE DRIVER REPEATEDLY APPLIED PRESSURE TO THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL FOR TWENTY MINUTES AND WAS ABLE TO RESUME NORMAL OPERATION. THE FAILURE OCCURRED IN THE MORNING VS THROUGHOUT THE DAY. THE VEHICLE WILL BE TAKEN TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR DIAGNOSTIC TESTING. THE CONTACT WAS CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY RISK INVOLVED. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 97,000 AND THE BEGINNING RENTAL MILEAGE WAS 99,386.

ODI ID Number : 10277921 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: February 1, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU02Z85K...
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2005 FORD ESCAPE. WHILE DRIVING BETWEEN 25-55 MPH, THE THROTTLE WILL STICK AND THE CONTACT MUST WIGGLE THE PEDAL TO GET IT LOOSE. THE DEALER STATED THAT CARBON BUILDS UP IN THE THROTTLE BODY AND CAUSES IT TO STICK. THE CONTACT BELIEVES THAT A CRASH COULD OCCUR DUE TO THE HIGH ACCELERATION. THE CURRENT AND FAILURE MILEAGES WERE 35,000.

ODI ID Number : 10269920 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: March 16, 2008
VIN : 1FMYU02Z85K...
Summary:
THE ACCELERATOR STICKS WHEN REVVING THE ENGINE WHILE LETTING OUT THE CLUTCH. AFTER EXERTING AN INCREASING AMOUNT OF PEDAL PRESSURE, IT SUDDENLY UNSTICKS, AND THE ENGINE OVERREVS. THIS RESULTS IN A JACK RABBIT START. THE FORD DEALER SAID THAT ONLY FIX IS TO REPLACE THE THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY, WHICH IS NOT COVERED BY THE WARRANTY. I BELIEVE THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE AND IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A RECALL. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10265575 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: April 15, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU92Z05K...
Component: POWER TRAIN
Summary:
2005 FORD ESCAPE GAS PEDAL STICKS - DEALER ADVISING NO ISSUES, I HAVE SEEN HUNDREDS OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS. WHAT IS GOING TO BE DONE AS THIS COULD CAUSE A SAFETY ISSUES. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10264432 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: February 1, 2009
VIN : 1FMYU02Z95K...
Summary:
MY 2005 FORD ESCAPE GAS PEDAL STICKS HORRIBLY. IT IS CONSTANTLY STICKING, AND HAS ALMOST CAUSED US NUMEROUS WRECKS. FORD TRIED TO CHARGE ME $360 TO REPLACE THE FUEL FILTER. I DID NOT GO THROUGH WITH IT. I PAID $120 FOR A NEW THROTTLE CABLE AND IT DIDN'T FIX IT AS WELL. I'M AT THE POINT WHERE IT IS TO DANGEROUS TO BE DRIVEN WITH MY FAMILY, AND I DO NOT TRUST THE VEHICLE ONE BIT. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10260746 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: February 14, 2008
Summary:
2005 FORD ESCAPE GAS PEDAL STICKING, TO THE POINT WHERE I WENT TO GET IN MY CAR AND DRIVE AND THE PEDAL WOULD NOT BUDGE. HAD THROTTLE BODY REPLACED AND EXACTLY ONE YEAR LATER IT IS DOING THE SAME THING. TRIED WD-40 TO NO AVAIL. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10244405 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: September 27, 2008
VIN : 1FMYU92Z55K...
Summary:
2005 FORD ESCAPE, 4CYL, AWD. BOUGHT IT NEW AND HAVE 70,000 MILES ON IT. GAS PEDAL KEEPS STICKING. TOOK IT BACK TO THE DEALER TEDD BRITT FORD THREE TIMES (WHICH HANDLES ALL OF MY SERVICE). THEY CAN NOT FIND THE PROBLEM. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10214163 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 2, 2007
VIN : 1FMCU02Z25K...
Summary:
GAS PEDALS STICKS. THIS IS AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM. THERE WAS A RECALL FOR THIS SAME ISSUE FOR 2001-2004 VEHICLES. MY VEHICLE IS A 2005. THIS IS STILL AN ISSUE. *TR

ODI ID Number : 10176373 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: December 18, 2006
Summary:
GAS PEDAL STICKS WHEN FOOT IS LIFTED OFF PEDAL THEN IT IS PRESSED AGAIN. AT TIMES, THE PEDAL STICKS SO BAD THAT THE CAR REVVES HIGH AND LUNGES FORWARD. *JB

ODI ID Number : 10176437 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: January 1, 1901
Summary:
2005 ESCAPE ACCELERATOR PEDAL BECAME STUCK AT IDLE. *TS THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER BUT THEY WERE UNABLE TO DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM. *NM

ODI ID Number : 10172360 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: November 1, 2006
VIN : 1FMYU02Z25K...
Summary:
DT*: THE CONTACT STATED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL STUCK CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO LUNGE FORWARD INTO TRAFFIC. IT WAS STOPPED BY DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR. THE DEALER REPLACED THE THROTTLE BODY FIVE TIMES HOWEVER THE PROBLEM RECURRED. UPDATED 11/30/2006 - THE ACCELERATOR BECOMES STUCK WHILE ATTEMPTING TO ACCELERATE FROM A STOP OR FROM PARK. THIS PROBLEM OCCURRED MORE FREQUENTLY WHEN THE WEATHER WAS COLD. *NM

ODI ID Number : 10171155 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: August 4, 2005
VIN : 1FMYU02Z75K...
Summary:
I HAVE A 4 CYLINDER AND MY GAS PEDAL IS ALWAYS GETTING STUCK IN A POSITION AND I HAVE TO TAP IT HARD TO UNSTICK IT. THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE I'VE BOUGHT THE TRUCK - AT FIRST, I THOUGHT IT WAS MY SHOES, OR MY IMAGINATION, BUT WHEN I FINALLY LET MY HUSBAND DRIVE MY ESCAPE, HE UNDERSTOOD WHAT I MEANT. IS THERE A RECALL FOR THIS BECAUSE I HAVE TO TAP HARD TO UNSTICK THE PEDAL AND IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE. *NM
tr888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 21:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: WTF will it take to get action on this dangerous sticky gas pedal problem?

I had this happen on my '04 Escape with 2L engine. What appears to be happening is a buildup of varnish/gum at the mating point of the air butterfly valve and throttle body from downstream fuel vapors. I disconnected the articulated rubber air inlet hose from the throttle body (that originates at the air cleaner) and sprayed Gumout in the throttle body at the mating point of the butterfly valve and throttle body. That solved the problem.
I'm sure the dealer will sell you a new throttle body along with the labor, that's a no-brainer, though it solves the problem.
I had originally theorized that the plastic butterfly valve was wearing to the shape of the throttle body and therefore wedging in the throttle body, but this has not seemed to be born out.
FE385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06   #3 (permalink)

Re: WTF will it take to get action on this dangerous sticky gas pedal problem?

this should be part of normal servicing so it should never be an issue.

Ian
goldie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Escape | C-MAX | Mercury Mariner Forum