Ford Forums banner

Ford higher warranty costs hit profits .

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
#4 ·
We were getting screwed on warranty labour rates 40 yrs ago , nothing seems to have changed .Only way the workshop could recoup the losses doing that type of work was to pad out the claim .Catch 22 situation on costs one way or another to the manufacturers in the long run .

#8 ·
Used to be able to this. Now everything is viewed very carefully. If you have to drain coolant they want it reused, reuse many gaskets, a lot of parts have to be approved before we can repair through digital imaging. We take pictures and sent them in and someone behind a desk tells us if we can fix under warranty. Even power train we take apart and come up with a parts list and ford tells us our repair approach. Been as bad as a whole in the block and ford has us disassemble and tells us to reuse certain components. To me at that point way easier to just replace long block assembly. Customer shouldn't suffer for this nonsense. If there is water in a tail light under warranty it should be replaced. Ford says not so fast. Send us a picture and we decide. Then they deny to cover and we are left to deal with unhappy customer and it's all put of our control.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
With us, I'm not sure which is worse, warranty or national accounts. With our national account contracts, they often are under the impression that we can cover what they want in half the time allotted. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about the financial end of the business as long as my paycheck doesn't bounce. I actually worked at a place a long time ago where that happened.

#9 ·
^ At times modern technology has a lot to answer for !! Some of the examples you describe seem like false economy .It also put a lot of accident repair assessors who came into our body/paint shop out of work when it was easy just to fire off pictures and get authorisation in seconds .Often said the people who make those decisions should be made to do a stint in w/shop reception for a while and the designers who cram engines into engine bays should be made to work on them also and see the problems they create for the mechanics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.