01 Expedition rear differential - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2005, 10:43   #1 (permalink)
brazosshooter

01 Expedition rear differential

Hey guys, I'm a new member here. Have read quite a bit about rear diffs going out or having issues. Mine is also making the "rumble strip" noise / vibration in the back. From what I have read, though, it only seems to happen to others when the vehicle is not up to operating temp. Mine is a little different. It happens whenever the vehicle shifts from third gear to overdrive. Thought I had a synchronizer going in the transmission, but it sounds exactly as described by others. I am getting no transmission slippage or loss of power between the motor and the rear wheels, so I'm guessing it is the differential. It always sounds and feels like it is coming from the back end anyway. Any ideas?
brazosshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 18:45   #2 (permalink)
RATfink Moderator

Re: 01 Expedition rear differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosshooter
Hey guys, I'm a new member here. Have read quite a bit about rear diffs going out or having issues. Mine is also making the "rumble strip" noise / vibration in the back. From what I have read, though, it only seems to happen to others when the vehicle is not up to operating temp. Mine is a little different. It happens whenever the vehicle shifts from third gear to overdrive. Thought I had a synchronizer going in the transmission, but it sounds exactly as described by others. I am getting no transmission slippage or loss of power between the motor and the rear wheels, so I'm guessing it is the differential. It always sounds and feels like it is coming from the back end anyway. Any ideas?
dude that might be a whole diff problem, since the fact you stated it only happens at a certain speed. what i would do is check the drive shaft, look for dents, scratches(sign of out of round), cracks, out of rounds, look for spots were there arent any rust(sign of missing balance's) lmk
OlSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:02   #3 (permalink)
brazosshooter

Good idea anything is better than spending $$$ or $$$$!!!
brazosshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
RATfink Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosshooter
Good idea anything is better than spending $$$ or $$$$!!!
did u take a look at it? you dont really need to bring it to a shop, just get under her and take a look.lmk
Old 01-21-2005, 18:18   #5 (permalink)

I am a new member also. I have a 2001 2WD eddie bower expedtion. When I first purchased it it ran great it had about 60000 miles. After further driving i started feeling a vibration in the rear like everyone else. Felt like running on the edge of the interstate with my back wheel when it shifted into overdrive. After further driving it started doing it in every gear. I took it to one of many ford dealers in nashville, they said the rear end needed to be rebuilt. They then ordered the parts and did the labor $915.00. I picked it up a week 1/2 later, thought the problem was fixed untill about 2 days later. The overdrive vibration came back. Now it does it in every gear and even when I let off the gas on the interstate and then press back on it. I took to the same dealer they then said that it needed a tune-up. Well I'm not stupid I knew that had nothing to do with the problem at hand, but I let them do it because I figured it was time anyway($565.00). Picked it back up and guess what, same problem they never even drove it after the tune up to see what else was going on. About out of options I wish someone had a solution. Thanks
ssteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 22:26   #6 (permalink)
RATfink Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteele
I am a new member also. I have a 2001 2WD eddie bower expedtion. When I first purchased it it ran great it had about 60000 miles. After further driving i started feeling a vibration in the rear like everyone else. Felt like running on the edge of the interstate with my back wheel when it shifted into overdrive. After further driving it started doing it in every gear. I took it to one of many ford dealers in nashville, they said the rear end needed to be rebuilt. They then ordered the parts and did the labor $915.00. I picked it up a week 1/2 later, thought the problem was fixed untill about 2 days later. The overdrive vibration came back. Now it does it in every gear and even when I let off the gas on the interstate and then press back on it. I took to the same dealer they then said that it needed a tune-up. Well I'm not stupid I knew that had nothing to do with the problem at hand, but I let them do it because I figured it was time anyway($565.00). Picked it back up and guess what, same problem they never even drove it after the tune up to see what else was going on. About out of options I wish someone had a solution. Thanks
If i were you i would write a letter to ford. and include a copy of the reciepts, and the fatc that they still havent fixed the problem, and that they keep on dragging you on, and u keep wasting money and the problem isnt getting solved. oh yeah check what i said a few replys up that might be the problem
Old 04-18-2005, 23:26   #7 (permalink)

Well I have an update to my previous post. I have the problem fixed thanks to a simple minded mechanic friend that is 21 yrs old. He said it sounded like the clutch in the trans was slipping, that in fords it happens alot when the fluid gets old and dirty. His advise was to change the trans fluid (Trans service), and if that didn't fix the problem then to change the clutch pack. I went to my local oil change service store and paid $100.00 to have it done. When I left the parking lot and went down the road the problem was still there. After driving for several days I noticed the problem reduced about 50%, until it went away all together. After the new fluid worked its way into everything it needed to and it hasn't happened since. It’s been about a month now and I haven’t felt or heard it. Hope this will work for everyone else. The Local store was Valvoline Oil, they seemed to have a nice online system to check the VIN# and make sure I didn't need any extra additives as fords sometimes do.
ssteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum