03 Lincoln Navigator HID Xenon install - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23   #1 (permalink)

03 Lincoln Navigator HID Xenon install

I put Xenon lights in the high beam and fog lights of a Navi and thought there might be some interest:

To start out with the high beams, remove the three screws that hold in the headlight cluster. The 3rd is a little hidden in the first pic, but is shown in the second:

Remove the 3 harness plugs going to the headlight assembly.
Once you have the headlight out, put it on something soft, remove the rubber dust cover, pull the plug off the factory bulb, and it will look just like this:

Make a 15/16" hole in the rubber boot to accept the kits grommet like so:

Attach the HID kit plug to the factory plug inside the housing:

Insert bulb into high beam socket and turn. It only goes one way. Here is a comparison between the halogen and Xenon bulbs:

Insert wires into the housing and replace rubber boot. Now to find a place to mount the ballast. There is a perfect, flat place to mount it:

I used acetone to clean up the back of the ballast and the area it is to be attached to, and then used the insanely sticky double sided pad that comes with the kit. Theres no way its coming off!

Attach the ballast wires to the wires coming out of the rubber boot, tidy up the wiring, and reinstall headlight using 3 screws. No different for the other side.

The foglights are simple as you don't have to remove anything. Just remove the factory bulb, unhook it from its plug, and plug in the Xenon kit the same way as with the high beams. You wont be using the grommet as there is no dust cover for the foglights. Secure the excess wires with the zip ties that come with the kit:

Note, that with the foglights, at least on my Navi, the polarity was reversed. The plugs can be turned around 180 degrees, but then they can't clip. My solution worked fine, though you may come up with something better:

Here is a comparision between the stock foglight on the left (passenger side) and the 5000K Xenon on the right (driver side):

I shopped around and decided to go with GT HID. I can get these for any members for $100 shipped per kit (kit = two lights) for any car. PM me if you're interested. I looked and there are no HID vendors on this site, so hopefully I'm not stepping on toes. If I am, you can delete this and keep the writeup and pics.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
BooGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 21:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: 03 Lincoln Navigator HID Xenon install

I just installed my HID kit last week... the only problem I'm having is that my right side low beam and fog don't always come on when I flip the switch, I have to turn on/off the switch a few times before they all come on, any ideas?
jagb2507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Great detailed info. Thanks for posting
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:22   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagb2507 View Post
I just installed my HID kit last week... the only problem I'm having is that my right side low beam and fog don't always come on when I flip the switch, I have to turn on/off the switch a few times before they all come on, any ideas?
Sounds like it could be a ground issue if its both on the same side. I get around this type of issue by installing a harness. It takes power from the battery (via relay) and has two separate, dedicated grounds. You'd need two ($40 + shipping, and can you tell I sell these or what...) or find where the forward engine bay harness grounds and make sure there are solid connections. Xenons seem to find these issues as they are polarity specific and need steady power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Great detailed info. Thanks for posting
Thanks and you're welcome!
Old 12-09-2009, 15:57   #5 (permalink)

i have the similar issue but mine its can either side or both of them not coming on. can you post/ show how to install the harness?
tallsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 21:44   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallsville View Post
i have the similar issue but mine its can either side or both of them not coming on. can you post/ show how to install the harness?
I never needed a harness. If you get a harness, you'll see how it takes signal from the original Navi harness, which triggers a relay. The harness gets its power directly from the battery, which you put on, and then has two ground wires, which you can attach to a clean fender bolt, or, solder a longer wire and run back to the negative battery terminal. It has two plugs that power the ballast. Its self explanatory when you lay out the harness in front of you. You can't plug anything in the wrong way, and theres no splicing of wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum