04 Navigator - 6-7-8 misfire, need good mechanic in Philly Area or Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:58   #1 (permalink)

04 Navigator - 6-7-8 misfire, need good mechanic in Philly Area or Help

I have an 04 Navigator with 70k on it had it since jan 06 with 30k originally. I never had any problems until now. The check engine light came on so i took it to Auto zone and got codes P0306, P0307, P0308.... They say i need a tune up but the manual said not until 100k. Do i need a tune up? Do i need to replace the Plugs. I have no Hp and that is KILLING ME! Could this be another problem? All my vacuum hoses are connected. There are no leaks in the exhaust witch leads me to believe that maybe i do. I'm not a mechanic but i have been under the hood of a few car in my lifetime.

In addition... I cant seem to find a mechanic that will attempt to change the plugs in the Philly area... the mechanic for my Nissan said the plugs are real hard to reach so most mechanics will not touch the job....
Does anyone out there know a mechanic in the Philadelphia area that can do this job? Can anyone help me?
BigWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 13:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: 04 Navigator - 6-7-8 misfire, need good mechanic in Philly Area or Help

Also could it be my Mass airflow sensor? I just got a new k&n airfilter around the time the problem started
Old 03-04-2009, 17:07   #3 (permalink)

Different code(s) should show for MAF (I just changed mine on 04 Navigator) so change the plugs. It's not hard, I did it myself..
04Navigator04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 14:28   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Navigator04 View Post
Different code(s) should show for MAF (I just changed mine on 04 Navigator) so change the plugs. It's not hard, I did it myself..
ok you are the first person to tell me its not hard to change my plugs... What size is your engine? Mine is the 5.4L V8 and the plug that is the problem is the one all the way in the back close to the fire wall... So... I need details my friend... If i can do it my self then I will save the $600.00 the mechanic is going to charge me...
Old 03-17-2009, 22:48   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWood View Post
ok you are the first person to tell me its not hard to change my plugs... What size is your engine? Mine is the 5.4L V8 and the plug that is the problem is the one all the way in the back close to the fire wall... So... I need details my friend... If i can do it my self then I will save the $600.00 the mechanic is going to charge me...
You need a extended spark plug socket. Its a tight fit but its possible to reach the last cylinder next to the firewall. Just tackle it. I mean climb up in the middle of the motor sit on the hood if you have to, of course only while the engine is cold, and has not been running, and get the last two in the back done first. I believe its Cylinder 4. I have a 4.6L so I ain't for sure, but isn't all that HARD.
gulizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:15   #6 (permalink)

WHen I had that problem, it was the valve cover gasket leaking and shorting out the plugs...........about 1000.00 to fix
jim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 19:32   #7 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: 04 Navigator - 6-7-8 misfire, need good mechanic in Philly Area or Help

ok... my bad for not coming back and telling what happened.... but here goes....

On April 4th (sat. morning) i decided just to do... I pulled out the tools, popped the hood and went at it... i started on Cylinders 1-4 disconnected some hoses, moved some out of the way. basically took off anything that was directly in my way. Took the old plugs and coils out... popped the new ones in... im only 25-30 mins in and im already to start 5-8.... So i do the same on the other side as i did on the first... move everything out of the way yadda, yadda, yadda.... removed the cam that coves the coils and plugs and what do i see.... WATER!!!! 5-8 where filled with WATER!!!! i wish i would have took a picture but i was sooooooooo pisses and panicked that i wasn’t thinking about pics... i was thinking about how much the dealer was going to charge me to fix this problem.... Well after i gathered myself i removed to boots and coils, got the shop vac and sucked all the extra rest and crap out of each hole. I then squirted a little WD40 in each because all i could imagine is each plug being rusted in there. So i let the WD40 set up for about 20 mins. Went in and slowly turned each plug about 1 full turn and let them soak some more.... Took them all out and gave it a final cleaning... It was looking good as new... so by now im still not calmed down but im focused on getting the job done i replaced each plug and coil. Then i looked and saw that the gasket has a huge tare in it and thats probably where the water came in at so just to be sure i put some gaskett seal over the replacement gasket (i know overkill but at the time it gave me a little sense of security).... So i locked everything back up.... reconnected all that a took loose and sat in the truck for the test start... With my heart in my throat and my hands literally shaking i turned the key.... She started right up!!! I was so happy.... i let her run for a few while io cleaned up... Then took her out for the test drive.... PERFECT!!!!! I ran up and down I-95 for about 150 miles that day... Took it up to 90mph a few times the to 100 a few... (kids dont try this at home, i come from a family of police and im a Mason so the chances of me getting a ticket are slim)... Once i looked up and the speedometer said 115... so i was satisfied that everything was ok.... BUT EVERYDAY i was a little affraid that something would go wrong but SO FAR SO GOOD. Shes running like a top... This weekend im going to take a look in at 5-8 just to make sure everything is ok...

NOW im looking to do some modifications... ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!?!?!?!!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum