04 Navigator noise @ rear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41   #1 (permalink)

04 Navigator noise @ rear

My navigator has been making a whirring/grinding noise when I accelerate. Sounds like its coming from the rear wheels.

Rear differential maybe? If so, anyone know how much to expect to pay for repairs or replacement?
hawthroned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 12:36   #2 (permalink)
Famous Expy Owner

Re: 04 Navigator noise @ rear

You will need a rear end rebuild. . mine is going out and the ford dealership quoted $2000 for the rebuild job. Let me know if you find it cheaper!
Stock 17" wheels and Contatrac Tires

Go Tarheels!
DougR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 04 Navigator noise @ rear

Rear ends can vary (uh huh!), depending if you want a locker, posi, open diff (standard, and generally the lowest cost). It's a somewhat complex procedure in order to get the gears to mesh correctly when you install. There are rebuild kits available, from Randy's Ring & Pinion or Yukon Gear. You'd have to check their websites for your specific application of course. $2K seems high for only one axle. $1700 would cover BOTH axles on my Durango at a gear specialty shop. Prices can vary, so be sure to shop around. A lot of performance/customs shops do gear swaps/replacements at a lot lower cost than the dealer, and can sometimes last longer since their staff can have more experience over dealer personnel.

New technology can come at a price as well, by this I mean if your Exp is equipped with that RSC, or advance trac, which might require computer calibrations once the gears are installed so the new gears don't make the systems to crazy. Again, $2K is still too high for only one axle. To replace the axle gears in my Dodge Durango, the AVERAGE price is roughly $750 USD.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum