08 is making a whining noise when stepping on the gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:08   #1 (permalink)

08 is making a whining noise when stepping on the gas

I have 22k miles on my 08 expedition and it started making that whining noise when under acceleration that sounds like that noise coming from the radio! The noise is also present while on Park when i step on the gas. It sounds like if i have a blower!! I changed the transmission fluid and filter and the noise is still there!! What could it be?
tegition is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 16:08   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 08 is making a whining noise when stepping on the gas

Check the engine pulleys. Occasionally the belt tension pulley can cause a squeal/whine noise when under load. Normally with a pulley the noise will be more noticeable at idle. Otherwise, check out your transfer case and change out the fluid, even though you mentioned the truck has low mileage, but it won't hurt to check.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 17:22   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's very possible it's from the pulleys. You could remove the drive belt and run the engine to see if the noise goes away. If it does, turn all the drives to see whigh one feels rough. Don't run it very long without the belt, 2 or 3 minutes at the most. That's with a cold engine.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 17:34   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Don't run it very long without the belt, 2 or 3 minutes at the most. That's with a cold engine.
...A friend of mine forgot to install his belt one morning after replacing the alternator on his truck, as he changed it late at night so as not to miss work. He turned his truck on via a remote starter as it was below freezing that morning and he went out to a DEAD truck as the battery was pooched so he missed work anyway! Just thought I'd share.

I'll also share this. A video of my Durango with a squeaky P/S pulley. The pump is fine. The odd thing, is that the pulley, as you'll notice in the video, has always had a small bit of play and just last week decided to start making the noise. I sprayed in behind the pulley with lube and the squeal went away for about ten minutes, which is how I ruled out a bad P/S pump. So yeah:
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 19:00   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's a great vidoe and sound. What kind of camera is that?
Old 09-16-2009, 12:20   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Check the engine pulleys. Occasionally the belt tension pulley can cause a squeal/whine noise when under load. Normally with a pulley the noise will be more noticeable at idle. Otherwise, check out your transfer case and change out the fluid, even though you mentioned the truck has low mileage, but it won't hurt to check.
Thanks, could it be the idler pulley too?
tegition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 13:58   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It can be any accessory run by the drive belt. If it stops when the belt is off that will let you know it's in that area. It could be the A/C compressor, Alternator, water pump or the idler or tensioner pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum