1998 5.4 with a mind of its own - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 22:16   #1 (permalink)

1998 5.4 with a mind of its own

my Expedition will be drving down the road and suddenly just increase in speed like you've just floored it. Once I found the cruise control hung up and replaced it so that took care of that. it did it agian this weekend. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe it has to do with the charcoal canister purging to much. I've really got no clue and don't want to start thowring money at it. I've had it tuned up at the dealership and they repaired some burnt wiring. Thanks
paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 06:50   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1998 5.4 with a mind of its own

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1234 View Post
my Expedition will be drving down the road and suddenly just increase in speed like you've just floored it. Once I found the cruise control hung up and replaced it so that took care of that. it did it agian this weekend. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe it has to do with the charcoal canister purging to much. I've really got no clue and don't want to start thowring money at it. I've had it tuned up at the dealership and they repaired some burnt wiring. Thanks
First, get it scanned to check for codes, not all give a check engine light. Getting it scanned will report back what the system is thinking and may save alot of time.

Has it done it since the wires were repaired? Much of the devices in a car have 12V supplied continuously and they break the ground to turn it off, so a burnt wire may short a device to ground and turn it on, so to speak.

A purge canister purging excessively may cause a drop in vacuum, but it shouldn't carry enough fuel to run the engine at a noticeably higher speed, I would think.
Old 11-04-2012, 21:15   #3 (permalink)

I scanned it and no codes. Checked out the TPS and I think I've found problem. It shows 4.88 volts all the time. The manual says .5-1 volt at idle and 5 volts at WOT. I'm replacing the TPS tomorrow. Thanks for the assistance.
Old 11-05-2012, 17:56   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Glad you found the problem
Old 11-13-2012, 20:52   #5 (permalink)

Well I replaced the TPS went on a test drive and when I pulled into the drive the throttle stuck again. I have moisture in the engine and at the cold temps here (North Pole, Alaska) when the PCV valve is working it sucks the moisture into the throttle body. Somebody told me Ford had a recall for this problem. Has anyone ever heard of the recall? Or had this problem and figured out a fix. I'm thinking about a thumb warmer from snow mobile or atv siliconed to the bottom of throttle body. If truck sits for about five minutes engine heat will thaw it and it works again.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=114210
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=114203
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31   #7 (permalink)

Thanks to Catskinner and Bert. Now to find the heated PCV valve.
Old 11-15-2012, 23:07   #8 (permalink)

Well no luck on finding the Ford TBS part. I'm thinking about rerouting the PCV valve line to the bottom of the air cleaner box and drilling a drain hole in box. I'd use an older Ford PCV filter to attach line to box. It would be like the old style air cleaner. Anyone see a problem with this idea? Oh I'd seal the old PVC hole up with duct tape.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

YC2Z-6K773-AA | RearCounter.com | 1 found at 1 seller
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31   #10 (permalink)

well I deided to re-route the pvc line to the air cleaner. I used an old style pvc filter to mount the hose on the air cleaner. I needed to cut the back of the filter off to clear the air filter. I ran the hose on top of the valve cover and to the air cleaner. I plugged the old hose connection just before the throttle body. Oh when I took the air intake hoses off there was water lying in the throttle body. Anyway drove it for over an hour and the throttle worked fine. It was -10 when I did this and it would usaully freeze up after 20 min.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum