1998 Exp roaring noise from Differential / Transmission - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 07:03   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 1998 Exp roaring noise from Differential / Transmission

I recently purchased a 1998 Expedition XLT 4x4. After getting on the interstate I noticed that there is a roaring sound coming from either the differential or the trans. It only does it between 35-65 mph and only while accelerating. I took it to a shop and had new brakes, rotors, front end alignment, etc done. They guy at the shop said it could possibly be a pinion bearing in the rear end. It is hard to tell where the sound is coming from while driving. Has anyone had this problem or heard of anyone else that has.
yella_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 19:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1998 Exp roaring noise from Differential / Transmission

Thanks for all the helpful responses. You guys are awesome......
yella_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 20:35   #3 (permalink)
Thing 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yella_dog View Post
Thanks for all the helpful responses. You guys are awesome......
You won't get very many responses with that attitude. I would guess your mechanic may be right. Possible problems could be with ujoints or CV style coupler in the transfer case to the front axle.

Your could also check all the fluid levels in the transfer case and differential. One of my friends had a fast oil change place do all of his work. They claim they do an inspection every time. His transfer case exploded this winter and I helped him replace it. All the gears and bearings in the transfer case showed signs of not having ANY lubrication. I suspect his unit had been empty or low for sometime and no one noticed. Double check these areas as a good start to low cost troubleshooting.
1meanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:29   #4 (permalink)

no.....its your rear,i saw 2 like that last year i didnt buy.

i got 97...interior was dirty but ran like a champ so i passed on the 2 good looking ones cause of noise in rear.....

get it completely changed with a newer on...like a 99...or 00
aircargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum