2000 4.6 with auto expidition skipping bad - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 16:18   #1 (permalink)

2000 4.6 with auto expidition skipping bad

Ok working on my Sis in laws expidition. Had a bad miss so check coil packs 4 where bad so change them but still has miss. So I went around and unplugged a coil at a time to find some still have no change. Im guessing plugs on that matter.

But even so it has no power at all in neutral it will rev fine with a miss but still rev. In gear it puts foot to floor you may get it up to 30 downhill. So I pulled both o2 sensors to relive back pressure to make sure it wasnt cats. Still same thing.

Also Change the ign swith because as soon as it had power at the bat it would crank and start itself unless you pulled the signal wire from the solonoid. Solve that issue but dont think it has any matter to the skip. Sorry im a chevy fan myself dont know nothing about fords.

So any opinions.?
drifterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 16:28   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2000 4.6 with auto expidition skipping bad

If you unplug the coils one at a time, it would show which one/s were missing just like a Chevy. Take it to autozone and they'll pull codes for free.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:05   #3 (permalink)

I know how to check them already replaced them all. I know what plugs are skipping its only 2 of them but the lack of power does not seem to resemble just a plug issue. The skip is there and obvious but does not add up to the lack of power unless the 4.6 is underpowered as is in proper shape that 2 plugs will hinder it useless.

I know on my 350 ive lost 3 cyls at once heard the miss but could still haul a fully loaded trailer the rest of the way home no probs. Just seems to much of a lack of power to be just plugs.

Im just wondering if there is anything else to look into while im at it. 02s look good and there is no change once warmed up so when in open loop before the 02s come up to temp stil no power so I dont think they are playing into it. Where is the shrader valve on this thing? does it have one cause I was looking i would like to check fuel pressure and also what should the reading be on one of these things?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:14   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You should be able to find what cylinders are missing. With the newer systems, certain problems turn other systems off for emmision reduction and they don't run with as much power. If it was missing for awhile, it may also cause a cat to plug up.

Schrader valve should be passengers side on the fuel rail. Fuel pressure should be 30-45psi key on engine off.
Old 01-14-2012, 13:21   #5 (permalink)

Well the 2 missing are the 7&8 cyls if they number them like chevy does otherwise its the 2 cyls farthest back to the firewall.

I cant test with a scanner tried that previous ownder choped to hell the wiring for a alarm and remote start system. All that was cleaned up as best as possible but no issues when my sis bought this thing at the time even with hacked wiring ran like a champ then she neglected it for a while and we get to where we are now.

Now as far as cats I thought that to even with lack of smell because it blew a hole in the exaust on driver side just in front of the cat. So I pulled the 02s out of the bung holes to let pressure out but did not increase power a little bit. Once again here is where my ford lack of knowledge comes in. I know most of the time on a chevy pulling the 02 from the exaust to leave the hole open will reveal a increase in power or drive ability as the pressure can escape if its the cats. Did not work in this case but I know its breathing better still cause now it sounds like a proper v8 not some little putter.

Still though im bout to replace all 8 plugs and attempt to check the Fuel Pressure. I found the schrader where you said so ill see what I get. Also where are the door switches on these things they are not a obvious push button in the jam. Think the one for the rear hatch is broke cause unless you hold pressure on the hatch it dings even though there is no play in the hatch when closed.

One last thing even with key out of the truck and a new ignition switch the windows and radio are still working like its in the acc location on the key when its not. Did this with old and new switch..
Old 01-14-2012, 14:31   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It would run a lot better if the O2 sensors were pulled and the cats were plugged. Cyl. # 7 and 8 are the rear 2 on the drivers side. There were some cases where the engine wiring got rubbed through on the passengers side rear causing missfire but usually on that side of the engine.

The radio and windows is probably due to a door latch switch.
Old 01-14-2012, 16:51   #7 (permalink)

ok so sounds like 4&8 then sounds like they are numbered in sequence instead of offset like a small block. That helps me. Now ill check that wiring over as well just to see.

As far as that goes I cant think of what else to check cause pulling the 02s did nothing. only 2 are missing so should not be as bad as it is just based on that.

Ill look over door switchs once I find them. Cant find them at all.
Old 01-14-2012, 17:34   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The door switches are in the door latch. Spray some WD40 in the latch with the tube and open and close the door a few times. The same with the rear latch.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22   #9 (permalink)

Ok doing plugs now sis just got her some. Old ones are covered in oil on the threads but the electrode is clean though well burn up from age. What would cause the threads to be covered in oil? Like not a little but almost to dripping point.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Someone may have slipped and poured oil outside of the opening. That's if it's on that side. Oil can't get up there unless it's from an upper keak. Valve cover gaskets? They rarely leak though.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum