2000 Exp Trans Fluid type - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 12:01   #1 (permalink)

2000 Exp Trans Fluid type

So i pull out the dipstick and it's sitting right at the very bottom. Reading the manual it says all hail MERCON, no other fluid will do, not the dual usage, certainly not the merc V. In the vast experience everyone has on here, is this accurate? or will those dex/merc mixtures work? my local parts store doesnt carry motorcraft merc so that is why i ask before i have to shop elsewhere? I certainly dont mind going elsewhere if that is what's going to prolong my trans life but if its not worth it I can grab something down the street.

Thanks!
donvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 13:02   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2000 Exp Trans Fluid type

It doesn't have to be 'Motorcraft' brand just as long as its MERCON fluid. I've read on several forums not to use the dex/merc universal fluid in place of Mercon.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 14:35   #3 (permalink)

hmm alright, i guess i will have to look around, they didn't sell anything but dex/merc and merc V. Thanks for the info
Old 04-19-2009, 14:58   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Hold on a min, if I'm not mistaken a 2000 Expedition requires Mercon V. I'm having trouble getting into a website to verify this by viewing the online owners manual. Do you by chance have your owners manual handy? What type does it recommend in the capacities section?
Old 04-19-2009, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Looks like Mercon V replaces Mercon in Ford products. I guess that's why you can't find it anymore.
Old 04-19-2009, 17:30   #6 (permalink)

i have the manual for mine, it said specifically nothing but mercon plus the trans dipstick says mercon only
Old 04-19-2009, 17:44   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes, but that was back in 00. Since then, Ford stopped the licensing and production of Merc and replaced it with the V. If you get a chance tomorrow, contact your dealer and verify this.

Quote:
Ford launches Mercon V
20th June 2007
By Staff Writer
Ford has said Mercon V will replace Mercon Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and will be used to service all automatic transmissions, power steering systems and manual transmissions.

Making this announcement, the Ford Customer Service Division (FCSD) has said the production and licensing for Mercon ATF will stop from July 1.

"Mercon V is a tighter specification which delivers better anti-oxidation, anti-wear and anti-shudder properties. It also provides increased protection against deposits, rust and corrosion. All of this helps ensure customers receive a better fluid," said Ron Romano, FCSD Service Lubricants technical expert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum