2001 Expedition 2 whl dr tranny problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 13:29   #1 (permalink)

2001 Expedition 2 whl dr tranny problem

My 01 Expe has about 92000 miles on it, has had all service at Ford and even a tranny flush and they added a Ford recommended additive but still have the same problem which is this: make a u-turn to the left (only this way) and as you accelerate ou of it the tranny slips. It has done this about the past 30000 miles and has had no other problems. Any ideas? Ford doesn't seem to. Thanks!
res0sxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 18:05   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2001 Expedition 2 whl dr tranny problem

Slips? How does it 'slip'? Does it skip a gear without any throttle input, or once you give it throttle coming out of the tight turn does it make a pronounced 'clunk' sound? Any feedback, or vibration coming through the steering wheel when this happens?

I would generally associate that as being normal, if you had a 4wd Exp. As you stated you have a 2wd. In 4wds the 'slipping' felt is generally that of the axles/gears, not the transmission directly. I never experienced this on my older 2wd trucks that I used to own. If it was transmission related, it would happen no matter which way you turn, left, or right. As your vehicle is out of warranty I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just be sure that now you have 92K on the clock not to get any more flushes done. Ford transmissions are rather solid when compared to the likes of older Dodge and even some newer GM units. Flushing in high mileage transmissions can dislodge large, built up particles lurking around and can clog up the valve body if, and when they reach that point. Then fluid flow will stop, and this can potentially overheat the transmission causing irreparable damage.

Another note, DO NOT ADD ADDITIVES. Additives are just to give people a better piece of mind knowing that they spend their money on a 'fix it now' problem. Very few additives work as advertised, and once heated, they become unstable which can wear out transmission fluid faster, as heat is the enemy. At 240F, the fluid is utterly toast and additives aren't made to vehicle transmission specifications. They have no warranties and some are a scam. 350mL of recycled transmission fluid that someone is selling back to you as an 'additive', stop leak product, performance O ring sealer or any other way they can sell you the product.

Anywho, as the problem isn't a direct driveability concern I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure that the dealer, or someone else, inspects all the front end components, along with the rear axle. If the rear axle fluid hasn't been changed in the last 30K, it'd be wise to do so, especially if you have a limited slip differential. If you're not sure what you have, you can either check for the build sticker around the differential, or look in the glovebox for a sticker. It'll state some weight ratings, along with your axle ratio and "LSD" beside it, if equipped.

Keep us posted on the transmission
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the input! No clunk but RPM goes up, you left up, then it seems to shift. The addditive and flush were the dealer's recommendation. I don't believe in them much either, not from great knowledge but bad experiences. I'll definitely have the front end and rear axle checked out I know the rear axle has never been serviced unless it was at one of the sceduled service times. Thanks again!!
res0sxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 13:41   #4 (permalink)
canuck

You're more than welcome, with any luck it won't be anything major. I suppose it could also be a transmission sensor of some sorts, perhaps someone with more tranny know-how will chime in soon.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum