2001 Expedition 4.6 valve lifter?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 05:38   #1 (permalink)

2001 Expedition 4.6 valve lifter??

Started making a clicking noise when at idle. Could really only hear when outside of truck. Started a few days ago, of course one day after spending a ton of money on new tires. Now you can hear clicking inside of truck and it goes up and down with the rpms. The only thing I can think of is maybe a valve lifter? I've got 219,000 on the truck and can't really afford a new one right now. Is this something that will cost and arm and a leg for a mechanic to correct? I've done various repairs to this truck before, is it something that a DIYer can accomplish?

Thanks!
kdixon1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 07:41   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 Expedition 4.6 valve lifter??

See if any od this helps pin it down. It may not be this since it has so many miles but it may help.
TSB
03-25-6 ENGINE - ROMEO BUILT 4.6L 2V - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 9/17/2003

Publication Date: December 11, 2003

FORD: 2001-2004 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, E SERIES, EXPEDITION, F-150
2002-2004 EXPLORER
LINCOLN: 2001-2004 TOWN CAR
MERCURY: 2001-2004 GRAND MARQUIS
2002-2004 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 03-16-4 to update the engine, engine build date and part numbers.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles, equipped with the Romeo built 4.6L 2V engine, with an "ENGINE BUILD DATE" prior to 9/17/2003 may exhibit an engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. The noise may be emanating from the valve guide area in the cylinder head. The noise may be more prevalent in the front wheel well area and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure listed in this article to properly evaluate/diagnose the vehicle condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE APPLIES ONLY TO VEHICLES WITH A "ROMEO ENGINE" BUILT BEFORE 9/17/2003 (ENGINE BUILD DATE NOT VEHICLE BUILD DATE). THE ENGINE BUILD DATE IS TYPICALLY FOUND ON THE ENGINE LABEL LOCATED ON THE VALVE COVER.

Verify the source of the noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the cylinder head near the exhaust ports.
Verify that the noise is heard in the exhaust system (in the wheel well or catalytic converter area, from underneath the vehicle).
Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
Verify that the tick noise is still present when canceling each cylinder, by unplugging the injectors one at a time.
Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01) and retest vehicle.
Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, re-torque to specification (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01).
Check hydraulic lash adjusters for a possible "spongy" condition (refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-00).
Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.
If the above diagnostics do not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, replace the cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 4L3Z-6049-AA (RH) or 4L3Z-6049-BA (LH). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303- 01 for cylinder head replacement procedures.

NOTE: THE REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
4L3Z-6049-AA Cylinder Head Asy - RH
4L3Z-6049-BA Cylinder Head Asy - LH
Old 02-15-2012, 09:36   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

This might help you also ,

Complaints of Ticking and/or Knocking Noises from Ford 4.6L/5.4L 3V Engines: Engine Builder
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the response. I noticed I was quite low on oil as it has been burning oil for about a year. I added 1qt oil (5w20 recommended) and headed to the parts shop for more oil and filter. I really think it is valve tapping as it has all the classic symptoms. I had the elder at the shop give it a listen and he thought the same. I inquired if I should put a little thicker oil in and decided on 10w40 along with the lucas treatment. I get back in truck to head home and no more tapping. Not sure if it was the xtra 1qt of 5w20 or what?? But got it home changed and treated and tapping hasn't returned! I really hope that will do it. I can drop anymore in a car this old. The tires still have the blue stuff on from when they were installed Friday!

Thanks
kdixon1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 13:09   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Fingers crossed it's o.k .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 16:26   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The tolerances are very close in that engine and using heavier oil, can starve some parts, especially when the engine is cold.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Not sure if it was the xtra 1qt of 5w20 or what??
I've noticed with many vehicles over the years that low oil will cause valve-train noise and that adding oil cures this noise.

Also I agree with Bert
Quote:
The tolerances are very close in that engine and using heavier oil, can starve some parts, especially when the engine is cold.
and in fact I ran across a mention of this in the C/D meant for Ford service techs. I can't remember the exact reference but for some engine problem the first thing the tech was to check was to see if the customer used a higher viscosity oil than specified. This was regarding a 2000-2002 4.6 v-8. I had been contemplating going to 10-30 in the summer but I think I'll stay with 5-20 after seeing this ref. and I think you might want to consider doing the same.- Brian
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum