2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 00:02   #1 (permalink)

2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer

Just picked this up a few days ago. It belonged to the older couple next door that passed away. I asked their son about it and we struck a deal. The truck hasn't been moved in about 1 1/2 years. I pulled it over and didn't attempt to try to get it to run on its own. He told that it was boiling the water out of the battery and he suspected the alt was overcharging. Battery is obviously completely dead and I wouldn't trust the tires. My plan of attack for mechanics is: new battery, alternator, serpentine belt, plugs, dump the fuel rail while its off, all filters, then likely a trans and rear end service. I found the original window sticker and it appears to have no options above the EB package. It states 3.31 rear, and it has the 4.6. It does have a 6 disc changer in the console, dual AC, power pedals, etc. I know it won't be a towing machine and that's fine with me. Odo reads 73k and it looks like its never been sat in. Gas tank has 1/8 tank left so I'm thinking if I get the rails/lines emptied then dumping about 10 gallons of premium outta get me back up and running. Anything else I need to know?

Excuse the pic it has not been washed in 2 years either.
01ssreda4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 08:24   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 Expedition Eddie Bauer

The fuel may be like turpentine and damage the pump. If it's been in the shade, it may be alright though. Sounds like you pretty much have it covered with what you're planning.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Could check all brakes / pads operating freely , change brake fluid .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 13:29   #4 (permalink)

There's no reason to go though all that work. Just put a new battery in it, and fill'er up - whatever's in that 1/8 of a tank will mix with fresh gas and you won't notice a difference. I imagine you say "you wouldn't trust the tires" is because it's sat outside in the Sun and the tires have cracked, that's only cosmetic damage, the tread and bladder will still be fine. I don't understand the point of doing extra work when you don't have to - just drive it and fix what's broken when it crops up.
Eddie Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37   #5 (permalink)

Wanted to give this a little update, went ahead and threw a new alternator and battery in it, replaced a battery terminal, and dumped 10 gallons of 92 octane in the tank. She took about 3 tries to run (rail priming I reckon) and she fired right up. Very faint valve train noise that went away quickly and a slight miss which did not go away with about 15 minutes of idle with some soft revs. And, the ac still blows cold. I'm pretty thrilled.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:53   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Good to hear , hope you enjoy your truck .Thanks for updating the forum .
Old 08-08-2013, 01:24   #7 (permalink)

And another update. Even with more idling and some light revving the miss would not go away. I decided to grab some Motorcraft oil and a filter and change it out before attempting to get rid of the miss. With fresh oil I did some power braking on my driveway (it's long). Of course, it couldn't hardly get out of its own way. After several forward and reverse attempts, the miss went away and upon letting off the brake at full throttle it would spin the tires. Much better. The miss has officially been removed.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:27   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Good work .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum