2001 Expedition front end hum - steering? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 14:16   #1 (permalink)

confused 2001 Expedition front end hum - steering?

My 2001 AWD Expedition with 165K miles developed a loud hum in the front. There is also a vibration that feels like a foot massager through the pedal and seat. I had a lot of front end parts replaced, an alignment, and four new OEM Wrangler tires installed but to no avail. Our mechanic doesn't know what's wrong. The biggest clue I have is that the hum gets much louder as speed increases and gets especially loud at 54 mph and above AND only when driving straight or turning the wheel to the left. Turn the wheel to the right like when taking an off ramp and the sound disappears only to come back immediately upon straightening the wheel. Any ideas?
finback670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2007, 16:24   #2 (permalink)
00gtr1

Re: 2001 Expedition front end hum - steering?

What parts have you replaced? By the way you are explaing the noise I'd say your right front wheel bearing is bad. when you turn the wheel to left while driving you're putting some of the vehicles wieght on the right front wheel bearing and making it louder, when turn to the right the load is moved to the left wheel bearing and that's why it gets quite. The wheel bearing is only replaced as a hub and bearing assembly. hope this helps.
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:59   #3 (permalink)

The standard steering stuff...uppers and lowers, idler arm, shocks, brakes, tires, etc. No drive train parts have been changed. I do get some metallic clunking when driving over bumps sometimes. Our shop mechanic says everything is tight. Does the hub/bearing assembly need to be removed to inspectit? Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26   #4 (permalink)
00gtr1

What I do is put the truck on a two post lift raise truck up, put in 4 wheel drive and listen the whel bearing with a stethoscope and you'll here one growlin. Or you could take the front rotors and calipers of an spin the hub and listen. If yuo here any noise or feel ant play they are junk. as far as the noise you are hearing check the front sway bar links they can break and make alot of noise over bumps hope this helps.
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:53   #5 (permalink)

We are replacing both front hub/wheel bearing assemblies today. I'll keep you posted...
Old 01-30-2007, 15:58   #6 (permalink)

We replaced the right front hub today. The truck sounds better at low speed but the awful hum is still there above 55 mph. The gut who replaced the hub and drove the truck said it sounds like the hum is on the left side. I have a new left side hub in the box in our shop, but I wanted to see if a bad left front wheel bearing makes sense with the symptoms I described (loud straight and left turn, quiet when turning right all above 55 mph). What do you think? Given the right side replacement, do the symptoms point to something else like the transfer case, differential, etc. Still frustrated
Old 01-31-2007, 10:06   #7 (permalink)

Well, it's done. I think both front wheel bearings were bad. It got quieter at low speed after replacing the right side hub, but the high speed hum was still there. Replaced the left side today. Old one made a scraping sound when spun. Test drive...no more hum!!!

I saw from another post that a shudder when starting and turning from a stop is a rear differential problem and a TSB is out for it. Coincidentally, the Ford dealership just replaced my rear differential seals just before I noticed the shudder. When I looked at the repair bill, I saw that they replaced the fluid but there's no indication that they added any "friction modifier." I will pick up a tube this afternoon and add it myself.

This forum is a great tool and your knowledgable responses are much appreciated. I never would have known about the shudder if not for your forum!!!
Old 07-05-2009, 14:34   #8 (permalink)

sorry to revive an old thread ... i have the same "humming" sound coming from the front end (hard to tell which side) of my 2001 expedition 135K miles tires and steering are good so i'm thinking hub/bearings. i've replaced / serviced bearings before while in the military but i haven't done anything like this before to my own vehicle and i'm pretty sure its a lot different than a 2 1/2 ton truck. does anyone have any tips / suggestions that can help? do i need any special tools? thx!
StickyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 15:16   #9 (permalink)
Famous Expy Owner

2001 Expedition 2wd. . 230,000 miles and getting the same symptoms as mentioned above. New Tires were re-balanced today and the tire installer says I need new front wheel bearings. .$300 repair when I can get it done.
Stock 17" wheels and Contatrac Tires

Go Tarheels!
DougR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum