2001 expedition heater core problem? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 18:10   #1 (permalink)

2001 expedition heater core problem?

Wasn't getting much if any heat in front or rear. After a little research decided that entire coolant system neded a good flushing. Bought the t flush system, cut the intake heater hose and flused after draining. Flushed for a good 30 mins or so to cycle the thermostat a few times. Water turned clear, which I assume is good. I then added the peak radiator/coolant system flush and then approx 3 gallons of water. Ran for a while. I plan on the recommended 3 to 6 hours of running time before draining and refilling with the appropriate antifreeze. At this point the heat is a little warmer but not hot. The intake feels warmer than the out hose. I'm not sure if this is a blendoor problem because when the ac is on and I change to hot I can feel the change in force of the blower and the temp changes to warm. I've read about a heater control valve but can't seem to locate it. In the intake hose I can feel what seems to be like hard plastic for about 2 inches of the run of the hose. I was wondersing if this could be the valve? Any advice is much appreciated
kdixon1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 19:03   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 expedition heater core problem?

If you change the temp control from cool to warm and it feels different, then the blend door is okay. If you mean moving the location to Max cool, that only changes the air from outside to inside and that wouldn't be an indication of a blend door problem. There shouldn't be a heater valve in the hoses.
Old 11-04-2011, 19:09   #3 (permalink)

yes moving temp control changes temp but only slightly. When on cold it is cold and when I move to hot it becomes warm but not hot. If the temp control valve is not in the intake hose then where the heck is it?

thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 20:29   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's what the blend door is for.
Old 11-04-2011, 20:49   #5 (permalink)

Bert,
So you think it may be the blendoor?
Old 11-04-2011, 21:12   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

How hot do the hoses get?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:13   #7 (permalink)

intake hose gets pretty hot, outlet just warm
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20   #8 (permalink)

I think it may be thermostat b/c the radiator hose isn't really getting hot. I can drive for 30 mins or so and hold onto the radiator hose as it isn't really that hot. Shouldn't it be a lot hotter than that? I was thinnking maybe thermostat was restricting flow??
Old 11-05-2011, 08:59   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

If the thermostat is jammed open , wont get the right heat / temp .Normal for intake hose to be warmer than outlet hose .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The thermostat restricts flow until the temperature gets where ir should and opens to let the coolant flow through the radiator. If it opens too quick, the temp is too cool for the engine and heater.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum