2001 Expedition Ignition Coil / Misfire Trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56   #1 (permalink)

2001 Expedition Ignition Coil / Misfire Trouble

I have a 2001 Expedition 4.6, 112k miles. I have read the posts here about the coils issues..My truck is showing similar symptoms.Just a few questions. What exactly do the coils look like? I hear people calling them by different names..if the official name is an ignition coils, then I am pretty sure what to look for, since I have changed out many of those on my old BMW (much easier to get to and troubleshoot by the way). I searched for some prices online,and found a few different pics of them, some I were not familiar with. I just want to make sure that my truck indeed has ignition coils, and not something else I have seen/heard mentioned.

Hopefully I can have the code pulled and find out exactly which cylinder is having the issue..It is missing, and even misfiring especially when under 50mph and during acceleration. This just recently happened (again), after the problem seemed to go away for about 2 years..Would it be alright just to change the plug and the ignition coil on the problem cylinder? (I new plug shouldn't affect anything, right? I would hate to pull all 8 of the plugs but I will if needed? I will probably do it myself, but I never did any work on this truck due to the fact that most stuff is hard to get to, and I recently moved from a house to an apartment with no garage..But if i have to take somewhere, whats a reasonable price (or approx labor time) so no one tries to rip me off...?

Oh one more question, where can I find a diagram showing the cylinder numbers, or can someone just tell me?

Thanks in advance..I just recently started using this site, pretty helpful stuff!
t_money662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 11:52   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2001 Expedition Ignition Coil / Misfire Trouble

Cylinder numbers & firing order;

Passenger side-front to back are 1,2,3,4. Drivers side-front to back are 5,6,7,8.Your firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

8 coils that look like this;

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 22:21   #3 (permalink)

Thanks...thats what I thought they were and I am used to, but a saw a few pics online that were different..sort of boxier without a boot, like a miniature car amplifier or something..

Now to try and get the codes from AutoZone or somewhere. Hopefully they will be there still and can be read by their cheap scanner, since the check engine light out has since gone out.
t_money662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01   #4 (permalink)

Is the cylinder numbers and firing order the same for the 2001 Ford Expedition 5.4L engine? Also, is this a common problem for this truck to go through ignition coils frquently? I just had several replaced at the beginning of 2008.
hitmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:57   #5 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

The cylinder numbers and firing order are the same.

Yes. These coils go bad frequently.

A tip for early Expedition SOHC motors- Cyl 4 misfires can occur from a coolant leak where the heater hose meets the heater core. Coolant will drip onto the coil pack and short it out. This can be verified by a white residue on top and around the coil pack. The fix directed by Ford was to double clamp the hose. Install one hose clamp on the hose over the flared portion of the heater core tube and one clamp directly behind that one.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:01   #6 (permalink)

Another tip= Be easy and snug the set screw when u tighten it back up. I was at my buddys shop last week and someone broke theres off and he was in the process off getn that little piece of screw that broke off in the block out. and it will miss without the screw holding it down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum