2001 Ford Expedition - 4 Wheel Drive Isues? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 12:19   #1 (permalink)

Question 2001 Ford Expedition - 4 Wheel Drive Isues?

My dad is having problems with his Expedition. The original problem with the 4 wheel drive was that the wheel would wobble, causing noise. After he took the wheel off, the caliper was wobbling approx. 1/4 inch.

He wants to know what would cause this problem so he can fix it, and he also wants to know the torque of the nut in this diagram...

He labeled 'Bearing?' in his diagram, but Im not sure what he meant, I didnt get a chance to talk to him about he just left me a note when I got home.

Any help is appreciated.
ExpedIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 14:32   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2001 Ford Expedition - 4 Wheel Drive Isues?

The wheel wobble is more than likely from a bad wheel bearing (hub assembly), the location shown in the drawing.

The front axle shaft nut will torque will be 60 ft. lbs but has nothing to do with the tightening of the wheel bearing.

This is what the wheel bearing assembly will look like, they are expensive also, $150-200.

It's a pretty easy change. Remove the center nut, brake caliper, caliper bracket, rotor, unhook the ABS connector, and the 3 bolts holding the assembly. When installing, use blue thread locker on the assembly bolts and a new axle nut.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 20:05   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The item you call caliper in your picture is the rotor. If you put one of the lug nuts on with the wheel off, it should be tight. If not, as jwko said, you'll need a bearing assy.
Old 01-18-2010, 20:16   #4 (permalink)

Sorry, I knew some things on the diagram were wrong, but I just copied what he drew.

But Ill tell him about the lug nut thing, and if it doesnt work, he'll have to make a trip to the Parts Store. Thanks guys. Ill report back eventually with results.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys, the suggestion worked perfectly. He changed the assembly, no more wobble!

The only downside is the part was a little more then expected, almost $400 dollars including tax.

On a side note, how long do these repairs usually last? Like, how long until the problem comes back?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

We've had some with 300,000 miles and still on the originals.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:04   #7 (permalink)

So I'm assuming it all depends on the wear and tear you put the car through?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:30   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

These were run pretty hard. Just that sometimes one will happen to go.
Old 01-26-2010, 17:48   #9 (permalink)
canuck

The wheel bearing (hub assembly) I've bought have all been 'factory sealed' meaning no grease joint. However, I've had good luck with mine. Most last 60K or more without issue. I abuse my Durango and the left front wore out 20K before the right front one did. It sees a lot of towing during the summer months and the rears are still good! When the fronts went, they didn't wobble much and barely made any noise except at low speeds and doing tight turns (at lock). I'd love to get 300K on a set. Perhaps my next vehicle will.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 18:26   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpedIssues View Post
Thanks guys, the suggestion worked perfectly. He changed the assembly, no more wobble!

The only downside is the part was a little more then expected, almost $400 dollars including tax.

On a side note, how long do these repairs usually last? Like, how long until the problem comes back?
$400? Was that outright or did that include installation? RockAuto Auto Parts had them at the prices I mentioned above. Next time you are in need of auto parts, give them a look. In the supporting vendor section on this forum, they have a code good for 5% off. If I don't need a part right away, I always buy from them.

I don't know about 4WD, but on my truck I had a bearing go at around 140k and the other is original with 156k on the clock.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum