2002 Lincoln Navigator Engine Lock Up?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 16:28   #1 (permalink)

2002 Lincoln Navigator Engine Lock Up??

New here but will try to make this complicated matter short......My sister has an 02' Lincoln Navigator in which she was involved in an accident where she got hit in the driver side door. She drove the vehicle for two weeks following the accident before taking it in to the body shop to be fixed. The body shop did all of their work, which included taking it to another shop for an alignment. Well, the body shop then proceeded to test drive the vehicle on the interstate before calling my sister to pick it up. During this test drive, the body shop said the vehicle just died and would not start back up. (they said it wasn't knocking or anything) They then took the starter off, checked it, and put a new battery on and nothing. They then had it towed to a Ford dealership and another mechanic shop and both are saying the engine is locked up?!? My sister has never had any issues with this vehicle, oil light has never came on, nothing. The body shop said all of the fluids were fine. Does anyone have any idea if the security system could do this or is there anything that could have happened from the accident to cause this? She is just at a loss and doesn't have another vehicle and the body shop won't do anything about it?? Thanks in advance for the help.
cdw5346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2009, 16:51   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2002 Lincoln Navigator Engine Lock Up??

Has she just talked to the body shop or to the dealer too? That's not something that just happens to the engine. How hard was it hit? That sounds strange to me.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 17:40   #3 (permalink)

She has talked to the body shop and the dealer both. The dealer actually wanted to charge her $900.00 just to tear into it to tell her what was wrong. They said they couldn't diagnose it on their computer because it wouldn't start. That is the reason they had it towed to another trusted local mechanic who also told them the engine was locked up and that they could not crank it by hand. It was hit in the driver side door but that is the only place that had damage. I know there are sensors in the driver side door for the security system but I don't know what all these sensors control I told her the same thing that you rarely ever see a catasrophic engine failure without some kind of warning signs. So she is now the proud owner of a vehicle that she just spent the insurance money on fixing the body and now it doesn't run!! If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks......
Old 11-11-2009, 18:24   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There could be a problem with the transmission front pump area too. If they took the starter out and tried to turn it over by hand, maybe they could get a better idea about where the problem is. It seems strange that it would need an alignment with just a hit in the door.
Old 11-11-2009, 18:54   #5 (permalink)

They have both (dealer and local mechanic) taken the starter out of it, removed the serpentine belt and tried cranking it over by hand and both have said engine is locked up. I just called her to double check the damage and it was driver side front and rear doors. It was hit at maybe 5-10 mph by a woman backing out of a parking space. Don't know why they would have aligned it for this either.....?? The total body damage was $3,100.00.
Old 11-11-2009, 19:02   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I wonder how it died? When they stopped or were driving and it locked up? That just doesn't make sense. How many miles are on it?
Old 11-11-2009, 19:17   #7 (permalink)

It has about 115,000 miles on it. The guy from the body shop said he had just came up the interstate and was exiting off and it just died going up the ramp. No knocking, no smoke, no nothing.......just died and wouldn't turn over again. The Ford dealership told her they had never heard of anything like this happening before.
Old 11-11-2009, 20:10   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That definitly is unusual. Hope you can get it resolved soon. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 20:21   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for your input.....any interest or help is appreciated!
Old 11-11-2009, 22:21   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

question for rtg. on these higher end vehicles, isn't there a box or something that records crash data? Even though the vehicle wasn't crashed, could they still link into the data and see how fast the vehicle was traveling or what the RPM's were at as it shut down?

I wondering if someone was out having themselves a grand old time time while test driving the Navigator...
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum