2003 Expedition 5.4 Rear AC problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 07:00   #1 (permalink)
Frustrated EXPY owner

2003 Expedition 5.4 Rear AC problems

I have dual climate control, and my rear ac unit clicks when it's running. Or rather..... there is a click coming from the rear passenger wheel well area. I'm assuming it's the rear ac unit since I think it's located under that panel. I believe the subwoofer is on the opposite side. ANY IDEAS??? other than it's going bad. Has anyone had to replace theirs? What's the clicking all about? It doesn't speed up or slow down. The AC still works. The clicking is just annoying. Thanks
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 14:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2003 Expedition 5.4 Rear AC problems

I am having the same problem with my 03 Expy. Did you ever find the solution? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
h0use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:22   #3 (permalink)
Frustrated EXPY owner

No resolution yet. still searching.
Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 21:00   #4 (permalink)

Open the access panel in the rear and check that the blower wheel doesnt have any debris in it. There shouldnt be any since that was the year they installed a debris guard IIRC. If the ticking is persistent it most likely the sign of the motor starting to show it's age. Unfortunately the only resolution is to replacement.

Added this thought: If it only happens occasionally on mode change or speed change from the front control head IIRC then it's a module click. Annoying but nothing to worry about, they may have a service fix for it by now * shrug *

Added one more thing: :D Does the unit operate correctly in all modes? Does the click happen at a particular temperature setting?
magoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 21:47   #5 (permalink)

After racking my brains a bit more Ive remembered the issue. It is most likely your rear A/C unit door actuator clicking . Try backing the rear control head a smiggen off of full cold/hot if it is set to that. If you dont the actuator will continue to try to drive itself until it times out or strips itself. If your rear unit doesnt operate properly then remove the access panel and look for two square plastic white clearish rectangles about 2x3". One is on the top of the unit and the other is on the side.

This is from memory but I believe the part number is YL5H-19E616-AA, the base 19E616 is correct for sure and the base is the same for both actuators.

I hope this was helpful if not please post and let me know. next time i womt snap answer without thinking more about it.
magoogoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 13:15   #6 (permalink)

which one do you replace. The one on top or the one on the side?

thanks
aznav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:45   #7 (permalink)

biggrin Re: 2003 Expedition 5.4 Rear AC problems

Nice memory Magoogoo!!! The part number is: YL5H-19E616-AC

Just fixed the same problem in my '03 Expedition today! You have to remove most of the rear panels, seat, etc to get to the AC actuator but it's a snap to replace.

Good luck!!!!
hn.designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:03   #8 (permalink)

Wow you guys saved me from pulling alot of hair out today. I had been having the same problem with my 2003 EB Expedition. I had an extended warranty that I thought covered bumper to bumper (b/c as I told the guy when I bought the car I want coverage for all the electronics and gadgets on it). Well it wasn't covered and I was p*ssed! They told me $425 and two days to change out both actuators.

What I found out was this was $100 in parts and $325 in labor. Thanks to this and another forum I was able to get the parts out and installed in under 2 hours. That is a hefty labor charge for something I can diagnose and fix myself with no prior knowledge. No more trips to Joe Myers Ford for me! I guess since this was my first trip it is no loss to them though.

Anyway here is more of what I have learned. The vertical one that sits on the outside adjusts the temperature. Mine would click when you adjusted the temp, but if you put it at certain levels it would completely stop clicking. This part was $68 (p/n YL5H-19E616-AC) and required me to remove the back seat and loosen the back panels to replace. I took the old one apart and could see that the small gear had lost 50% of it's teeth.

The other actuator that sits flat and up higher can be removed and replaced by simply removing the cup holder and the upper tray. Unfortunately that was not the culprit in my case. All the teeth were in good shape, and for some reason this part is only $32 (even though both parts look 99% the same). This is the AC Door Actuator and adjusts whether the air goes to the feet or to face.

I would highly recommend fixing this yourself if you are mechanically inclined in the least. With what I have learned I think you can diagnose which one is going out depending on if it is affected by the temperature adjustment or the air flow adjustment. One other thing of note is the temp adjustment one that I fixed is evidentally more common, and the clicking will persist even when the A/C is off (although on mine it was much quieter), because for some reason this motor runs all the time.

Thanks to all previous posters. You saved me $350!
66Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 21:46   #9 (permalink)

Gotta love these forums...especially when there's a high probablity of getting ripped of at the dealership. Glad we could help out and your additional insight will surely be helpful to other Expy owners who may be facing the same issue.

:)
hn.designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 16:39   #10 (permalink)

Hello all,
your advice on this matter has helped immensly! Can anyone advise me as to how to remove the panel once the seat has been removed?
Thanks
Jeff
jefflongfield@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum