2003 Expedition 5.4 Rear AC problems - Page 3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 20:00   #21 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 2003 Expedition 5.4 Rear AC problems

There's My Damn Women I been looking for...Hamfisted took em...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 20:32   #22 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

What kind of truck (or trucks) do you have to haul them around.
Old 07-25-2010, 20:48   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
What kind of truck (or trucks) do you have to haul them around.
U-Haul
Old 07-25-2010, 23:45   #24 (permalink)

Hey that's my wife !! I think I need a dually....

- Mike
Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58   #25 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfisted View Post
Hey that's my wife !! I think I need a dually....

- Mike
Yep! LOL
Old 06-04-2011, 19:04   #26 (permalink)
DLT

i had the same problem; 03 expedition, reading around online and found this site had the best info i could find' clicking sound when turning on rear A/C or heat....i unplugged the side unit and that stopped the clicking...i almost lost a arm but i got the side actuator unit out that was making the clicking by removing the for screws with a small 1/4 drive ratchet, i don't remember the size of the socket but is was not 7mm...i was gonna remove the panels but it looked like a real pain....i took the actuator apart and found the gear with two sets of gears on it had the small set of teeth gears was missing half the teeth...is just that gear replaceable? if so where do i get it??
when the A/C was on it blew warm air too....when i turned the A/C on it made a sucking or hissing sound, i added one can of R-134 and the hissing sound went away up front..i noticed the rear unit was making a hissing sound too.. added a second can of r-134 and sound went away and blowing cold air' i will let ya all know how it gos putting the side unit back in when i get it......wheres the best place to order the part if i have to order the whole unit if just the gear not replaceable...
thanks for all your help'
-
Rob.M
DLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 14:38   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFord View Post
Wife's '05 got the exact same problem. I fixed it today without spending a penny and here is how:

1. Remove the long tray so you can access the actuator;
2. Remove the actuator and uncover the gears;
3. All the lost teeth happened on the second gear (with the first one the metal one on the motor) and it only happened to the upper part of the teeth and the bottom part is still OK to use;
4. Cut the bottom part (smaller end) of the 3rd gear by about 1/16" so you can drop the 3rd gear by that distance;
5. Put two washers (about 1/16" thick) on top of the 3rd gear and close the gear box;
6. Plug the power connector and turn the rear A/C on. Make sure noise is gone;
7. Install it back and push the long tray back in and you finished!

So the trick here is to use the unbroken part of the gear which is almost the same engaged height as the original part. It work fine now but I don't know for how long. At least I can order the part in the mean time if I still want to. Or I can just unplug it and let rear A/C only come out from the top. I never use the lower vent anyway.
This is pretty much what I did to fix my issue. My actuator was the upper one that works the vents. Once I got the long tray off, I could feel the actuator making thumps with the clicking. Removed it, opened it up and used a dremel to cut down the plastic gears to align the gears with the portion that still had teeth. I also cut down the 4th white gear to allow the 3rd gear to come further down to align with the 2nd gear. Fitted a spacer similar to the washer suggested and everything works now. I too expect it to fail again and then I will probably unplug it.

This was on a 2004 4.6L Expedition XLT.
jpicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 21:55   #28 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for that information jpicobra, that sure will help someone.
Old 11-06-2011, 14:44   #29 (permalink)

Thanks to the info in this thread, I fixed my problem today. Dealership quoted me $450 to fix, but I did it for $40 plus an hour of my time, and I've never worked on a car before.

I was getting a clicking noise in the right rear and figured out that it was the hot/cold temperature actuator. I was able to install the replacement part without having to take the side panels completely apart. Here is what I did:

1. Removed the tray behind the cupholder on the right rear. It just snaps out if you pry it up.

2. Removed the cupholder. It also snaps out, but it's easier if you remove the tray first as you can then access the cupholder underneath to pop it out.

3. From here I could see both actuators (they look like white boxes held in by four screws). I ran the air and switched the temp to double check which one was faulty. I could feel it clicking with my hand.

4. I then pulled the side panel that surrounds the actuators out partially. I found that by just popping out a couple of the plastic tabs that holds it in place, I could get an extra few inches of access space to get my hands and tools in. I didn't have to remove the seat and didn't have to unscrew anything. It just popped loose.

5. I unplugged the actuator, loosened the four screws holding it in place, and removed it. I pried it open and verified that the small end of the smallest gear was stripped.

6. Got the replacement from AutoZone for $40, plugged it in and verified that it worked.

7. Inserted it in place. The only tricky part here was getting the D-shaped turning arm to slot back into place, because visibility waas limited. I finally got it by holding it ithe right spot and then slowly turning the temperature control knob, which caused the arm to turn until it was in the right position to insert. Ten minutes of trial and error got it.

8. Put the four screws back in place and verified that it worked.

9. Snapped the side panel back into place and replaced the cupholder and tray.

10. Wrote this entry.

11. Banked the $410 I saved. Thanks!!
ccoleman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 17:03   #30 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the information. Nothing like saving money.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum