Re: 2003 Expedition 5.4 Rear AC problems
Thanks to the info in this thread, I fixed my problem today. Dealership quoted me $450 to fix, but I did it for $40 plus an hour of my time, and I've never worked on a car before.
I was getting a clicking noise in the right rear and figured out that it was the hot/cold temperature actuator. I was able to install the replacement part without having to take the side panels completely apart. Here is what I did:
1. Removed the tray behind the cupholder on the right rear. It just snaps out if you pry it up.
2. Removed the cupholder. It also snaps out, but it's easier if you remove the tray first as you can then access the cupholder underneath to pop it out.
3. From here I could see both actuators (they look like white boxes held in by four screws). I ran the air and switched the temp to double check which one was faulty. I could feel it clicking with my hand.
4. I then pulled the side panel that surrounds the actuators out partially. I found that by just popping out a couple of the plastic tabs that holds it in place, I could get an extra few inches of access space to get my hands and tools in. I didn't have to remove the seat and didn't have to unscrew anything. It just popped loose.
5. I unplugged the actuator, loosened the four screws holding it in place, and removed it. I pried it open and verified that the small end of the smallest gear was stripped.
6. Got the replacement from AutoZone for $40, plugged it in and verified that it worked.
7. Inserted it in place. The only tricky part here was getting the D-shaped turning arm to slot back into place, because visibility waas limited. I finally got it by holding it ithe right spot and then slowly turning the temperature control knob, which caused the arm to turn until it was in the right position to insert. Ten minutes of trial and error got it.
8. Put the four screws back in place and verified that it worked.
9. Snapped the side panel back into place and replaced the cupholder and tray.
10. Wrote this entry.
11. Banked the $410 I saved. Thanks!!