2003 Ford Expedition XLT FX4 broken coil pack - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 17:21   #1 (permalink)

2003 Ford Expedition XLT FX4 broken coil pack

Hello, I'm new to the forum here and just purchased a 2003 Expedition XLT FX4. I had already test drove the vehicle and it ran fine, but this morning on the way to work the motor began misfiring and sputtering right around 55 to 56 mph with the throttle held at a certain point. Dealer came and got the vehicle, took it back to the garage and found a broken coil pack. They replaced it, I test drove it again tonight and it ran great. I went ahead with the purchase, I hope I made a good choice.

Any advice for routine maintenance other than changing oil to keep this thing on the road and out of the repair shop?
Cheapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2003 Ford Expedition XLT FX4 broken coil pack

Regular servicing is the main thing. What engine does it have?
Old 02-09-2011, 05:22   #3 (permalink)

5.4L Triton

New problem now occuring, Got up early this morning and went to start the vehicle but it acted as if the battery was dead. Would do nothing at all or the solenoid would click. Put jumper cables between my armada and exp but still no start. Moved the clamp around on the negative post and the side view mirror lights and underhood light got much brighter. Turned the key and it fired right up and the volt gauge reads good. Could this be a possible bad battery post, maybe separating from battery? I guess the only way to really tell is pull the battery out and take it to an auto parts store and have them test it.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26   #4 (permalink)

Yeah if you're in the cold area of the country, that will uncover a weak battery pretty quick. If you have a Sears in your town, the Die Hard Platinum is the best battery you can buy for the Expod. It's AGM made by Odyssey Batteries.

- Mike
Hamfisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 19:04   #5 (permalink)

Had to use a jump pack to start the EXP at work today, went to O'Reilly auto parts at lunch and had them test the battery. Bad Battery, so $102 and a new battery and it starts every time now.
Old 02-09-2011, 19:18   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad you're all set. Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum