2003 Navigator Water Damaged - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 11:04   #1 (permalink)
IT CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER

2003 Navigator Water Damaged

First of all I want to introduce myself I Just bought my first Navigator because of the fine looks and the V8.
I am located in the Netherlands and I want to share some experiences getting this car back on the road.

I bought the car and it was involved in a flooding the car was ounder watter up to the level of the windows. The Mileage reading is 46.000 Miles.

I checked the car if you put turn the ignition the electrics seem to work, the dash works the meters go on and the lights , the ac goes on
I will receive the car on the 15th or 16th of this month and my plan is to do the following.

Change all oils and filters also the transmission filter, I dont know if it is wise to also drain the torque converter Someone here advised me not to do that as it might cause more problems.

The rear hatch doesnt open with the remote so I need some advise on how to open it when the remote does not work.

I checked the engine ECU and that looks fine after my visual check it looks watter tight so dont expect damage there, only will replace the battery clean all ground connections on the car and starter before connecting things up

Saw the fuse box in the passengers side was quite rusty, and I intent to replace that.

I will need some parts like Front doors they will damaged due to the incident
The Headlining which is damaged when they wanted to lift the car I think with a sling truh the front doors.

The sunroof opening is slightly damaged see pictures so I will need some parts from that however the sunroof does work.

so to recap:

1. How do I open the rear hatch without the remote
2. Do I have to flush the torque converter or not If yes I will also need the drain plug I understood after loosing it you need to use a new plug
3. I will need the following parts : * 2 front doors see pics attached
* Headligning
* Sunroof latches etc see pics attached
* Driver side running board non electric
* All fuseboxes in the car including the
harnass connected to it for just in case
* All 8 coil plugs want to replace them to
be on the safe side

So If any of you have these parts for an affordable price willing to ship it sea freight I would be interested because here we dont have many Navigators and no 2nd hand parts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00014-20100804-1415.jpg (122.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00015-20100804-1415.jpg (111.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00018-20100804-1416(1).jpg (192.2 KB, 12 views)
NAVMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2003 Navigator Water Damaged

You could search here and contact some to see if they can help with the parts.

To get the liftgate open, you'll have to remove the inner trim panel from inside. You first remove the upper window surround then the lift strap and then the two push pins for the bottom panel and lift up and out. You'll find the latch release inside. Get a Chilton or Haynes manual for help with all of your needs.
Old 09-11-2010, 22:56   #3 (permalink)
IT CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER

Bert
Thanks for the response, I will order the manual but which one is better and where can it be ordered.

however if anyboddy can help with the parts
will be appreciated
I can figure out the shipping, if it can be delivered to a seaport.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:03   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I forgot to post the link for the part search mentioned in my first paragraph. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

As for the service manual, I don't know which one will give enough information about all of the body parts. If you want the best, I'd see about getting the factory manual. Search ebay for them and they'll be red colored. They are what the Ford techs use.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:29   #5 (permalink)
IT CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER

Bert
Thanks again i just checked and I was terribly shocked by the price they charge for a door just a door wooaw 1500 USd and the most reasonable one will be around 600 - 400USD
I am used to buy a door for aprox 250 - 300 for the european cars
and the shipping not even included.

I guess its cheaper to buy a salvage Navigator and ship it than I have all the parts and more possibly sell what is left after I finish

Thanks for the advise on the manual
Old 09-28-2010, 23:22   #6 (permalink)
IT CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER

Dear Fellow members
yesterday finally the car arrived and I started to work on it emmediately.
First I flussed all the liquids in the car starting with the Engine, Transmission, Transfer case, Rear Diff, Front Difff.
I found high quantity of clear clean water inside the engine I geuss approx 20 - 25 Liter the transmission approx 15 L and the rear diff approx 8 L
After this the Radiator even out of the Radiator came some rusty water.

Than I opened the cover of the Plug holes that was full with clear clean water with a air pistol i blew the water out of the holes and than sprayed in a lot of WD40.

I also disassembled the intake system and saw that the trottle body had a lot of corrosion inside against the valves will attached pics later.

After that I cleaned the workshop and left by that time it was already going towards 22:00 hrs.
Before leaving I checked if the engine was stucked it was not it was turning very light .

The schedule today is to first take out all the plugs spray WD40 inside the cylinders
and turn it over several times, Will check compression while its open.
and than I will fix the new plugs Check the coils if they are fine reconnect them cover it again.

Than replace all the rollers belts running in front of the engine think you call it Serpentine belt in the US with all bearings etc new.

I will modify the fan and fit a ellectric cooling fan will figure out how to fix the wiring will ad a relay and fuse for it and see where to pick my temp signal any advise or tips welcome
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09   #7 (permalink)

My heart goes out to you. That vehicle is a total loss. It will never opertate properly.
From what you are going to spend on it you could have bought a good used one that
drives.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54   #8 (permalink)
IT CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER

Today I started with taking out the Plugs and they all came out fine no problem with that only cyl 8 is a pig to get out with this exhaust piping that runs over the plug hole.

After that I wanted to start the engine but notting happening.
Then I found out the starter was stuck which I took out to a repair shop and will get it back tomorrow while i was at it I also brougt the alternator just in case.

Than I refilled the Transmission fluid and the Transfer gear also the rear diff and the front diff.

Than I tried to turn the engine but it didnt wanted to make a full turn only part after approx 160deg turn it feels like there is water in a cyl but I have all the plugs out it doesnt want to turn anyfurther
I still dont know why

Any Advise on this

Than I started to take out the interior first the seat than the centre console and the shift lever than the plastic parts in the dooropening and tomorrow I will continue with the removal of the rear seats and the rear centre console between the seats

I will try to figure out why the engine does not turn a full of trn otherwise I think I will get the engine out and take the heads off but hope that will not be needed.

Ok I looking forward to the advise
Old 09-29-2010, 14:12   #9 (permalink)
IT CAN ALWAYS BE BETTER

There is also one more thing I forgot to mention

When I wanted to run the starter to allow the cylinders to clear I could not take the key out of the ignition it was stuck.
only when I disconnected the battery was when It was possible to take the ignition key out why is that
Old 09-29-2010, 14:27   #10 (permalink)

now you know why i said the vehicle is a total loss. Get rid of it or don't spend any more
money on it. This is just the beginning of you problems. Our insurance co. will ALWAYS
total loss a flood vehicle. They can NEVER be registerd again. They go to the press.
Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum