2007 Expedition XLT 4 wheel drive problems. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 10:39   #1 (permalink)

2007 Expedition XLT 4 wheel drive problems.

Hello everyone

I have a 2007 Expedition XLT which I'm facing trouble with while using 4x4. Yesterday I took it for a trip to the desert, so I was using 4A (automatic) 4H and 4L depending on the terrain, its a switch not a gear.

Anyway after I was done with that and got back on the road, I tried turning on back the traction control and setting it back to 2H but it was stuck on 4Low, kept on trying but with no use, so I was driving on 4L with traction off and high rpm at low speed, after a few miles I stopped to give it a shot again, put the gear on N, pushed the handbrake then it went back to 2H after switching it and the traction control was back on.

My question is: Does anyone know what is the cause of this? I do quite some off road from time to time, I don't want to be stuck with 4x4 or 2wheel the whole time.

Thanks in advance.
Mejren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 21:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2007 Expedition XLT 4 wheel drive problems.

Most often this is a bad shift motor. Fords are known for this. The shift motor is mounted on the transfer case. It's a pretty easy replacement--usually only 4 bolts. The only bug is that the motor is internally grounded inside the transfer case. So when you install the new motor, you'll have to either move the existing ground wire to the new electrical connector or solder it into the new ground. You can get aftermarket motors for about $125. Relatively easy fix. Something you can do yourself with a shop manual and ordinary metric sockets.
Old 03-03-2008, 19:37   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply RickMN

So all I have to do is replace the shift motor with a new one? I'm really surprised, the car is under 1k miles which is considered new.

In regard of the traction control, any idea why I couldn't turn it back on while on 4L? Is it related to the shift motor problem by any chance?
Mejren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 20:38   #4 (permalink)

When using the 4L gear you need to put it in N select 4L then put it in gear. To get it out, reverse the process. Hope this works for you
firehouse100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum