2008 Expedition phone - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 16:56   #1 (permalink)

2008 Expedition phone

Hello I Have bought a 2008 Expedition eddie bauer it came with the standered radio not the dvd navigation one....

How do i connect my phone to it

there is nothing in the book about it is it blue tooth or do i have to by a attachment or what????
Meah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 10:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2008 Expedition phone

No one knows????????????????????????
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45   #3 (permalink)

Hi, I',m just starting to investigate myself. I have a 2008 Expedition Limited EL with the Navigation audio system and Sirius.

My assumption is the phone must be bluetooth enabled.

As far as attachments go, I'm not sure, but on the Ford Accessories site for Expedition they do have phone attachments.

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/fas/b2c/catalog.asp

I'll let you know if I find out more, but I'm in no rush. I'm looking to have it installed by March. If you come up with any info, I would appreciate it if you pass it on.
PoppaDon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:36   #4 (permalink)

To the orig poster, are you asking how to connect a bluetooth handsfree speaker phone kit to the radio? Or are you asking how to connect your phone to the radio with built-in handsfree kit (Ford's really expensive bluetooth option)?
tk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 13:57   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971
To the orig poster, are you asking how to connect a bluetooth handsfree speaker phone kit to the radio? Or are you asking how to connect your phone to the radio with built-in handsfree kit (Ford's really expensive bluetooth option)?
Either or i just seen the "phone" key on the radio and was wondering how it worked i cant find anything it about it in the book and keep forgeting to ask the dealer when im there
Old 01-25-2008, 15:49   #6 (permalink)

That phone key is a mute button. Unless you dropped the dough for Ford's Mobile-Ease TM product, you don't have bluetooth in your Expy.

What you need is a Parrot Bluetooth handsfree kit. I opted for a CK3000 Evolution for my 07 Expedition. It does not have a screen (for caller ID), but is black and silver and the actual MMI (man-machine interface) is very small and unobtrusive (about 1.5" long and 0.75" tall).

This is my 3rd Parrot kit (my other car has a CK3100 with screen and my wife has a CK3200 LS with color screen). These things are great. Full Factory stereo integration. When done right, this is how it works: You get in the car, start it (with your bluetooth phone in your pocket/purse, etc), the phone automatically connects to the Parrot. You are driving and listening to a CD or the radio. When a call comes, the Radio mutes the music, and you can hear a phone ring from the Car Radio speakers. You push the green connect button to connect the call and the phone audio comes out from the front two speakers of the car. A microphone is installed in the car (I have mine on the steering column), so you just start talking.

You can buy it here along with the cable to hook it up to your stereo.

http://www.quickconnectproducts.com
QCExp-1 (The cable I ended up using)
QCFCSS-2P (The cable that was recommended by the site)

I installed the interface (a FOB-like dongle with a knob and 2 buttons, one red and one green) right above my cointray in the dash and right below the A/C vent (if I had a 4x4, it would be the switch for the 4x4 modes instead of the cointray). Fits perfectly, and matches my interior (charcoal/black/silver).

If you feel like installing it yourself, you don't need the wiring harness, but if you don't like to cut and splice, you'll need a wiring harness that cost about 70% of what the CK3000 costs.

Just a heads up. The 07 / 08 Expies don't have an ignition switched 12V at the radio (maybe if someone has a shop manual, they can tell me where on the dash there is one), so regardless of whether you get a wiring harness or not, you will need to splice into a ignition switched 12V supply from the fusebox (I just looped the wire on a leg on the fuse).

The website has a finder that will identify the more expensive and more advanced QCFCSS-2P wiring harness that works with radios with a mute, or the a NAV radio. I received this and installed it, but had issues of when the Parrot unit went on, the delay in the factory radio for line input made any voice cues from the Parrot cut off (when I push the green connect button, it would say "Pl... mand" instead of "Please say a command". This is not the fault of the Parrot or the harness, but one of those special conditions of the factory radio.

Sounds like your radio is exactly like mine. I ended up using the QCExp-1 harness instead. This harness still mutes the radio (in fact, when the Parrot goes on, the screen on the radio reads "Phone", whether your radio was on or off at the time a call comes in), but instead of using line-input for the audio (able to control the volume from both the Parrot knob and the Radio), the QCExp-1 hi-jacks the front 2 speaker signals via the harness and Parrot relay cable (under normal conditions, the front 2 speaker signals go through, but when a call comes and the radio mutes, the Parrot supplies the audio through the front 2 speaker wires). With the QCExp-1, I can only control the Parrot from the Parrot knob in between the red and green buttons, and not through the radio volume button.

Works fine that way. The actual "brain" of the Parrot is this blue box that is installed inside the dash, so it has enough watts to power up the Expy's speakers.

Wow, I didn't realize that I just wrote a novel. Anyways, if you were so inclined, you could probably install it yourself. I installed the other two Parrots for my other car and my wife's car, but I got lazy for the Expy and decided to get the harness for it in order to prevent splicing into the factory wiring.

Good Luck.

tk
Old 01-25-2008, 16:21   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: 2008 Expedition phone

You should have this published, it could become a best seller. Thanks, for the detailed information, I think I might go with the same setup you used.

Info is much appreicated.

Don
Old 01-25-2008, 21:37   #8 (permalink)

Very interesting going to have to look into that

Thanks
Old 01-27-2008, 17:12   #9 (permalink)

For those interested. Here is my dash with the Parrot installed:

Here is a closeup of the Parrot interface (2 buttons and a knob):

Old 01-28-2008, 05:03   #10 (permalink)

don't see your pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum