Ford Forums banner

5.4 Has MisFire on #5 (Second Occurrence)

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
I have an '07 Navigator and have had a misfire for the second time on the #5. The first time was in January '16; the garage I use said I had water in the spark plug hole, replaced plug & coil...and said not to wash my engine. Strange thing, I didn't wash it, but we had some really heavy blowing rains. Fast forward, yesterday I made a 150 mile round trip without incident. Later in the day, the Service Engine Light showed up; I used the reader and found it to be misfire on #5. Ironically, I had washed the vehicle the day before, using a hose and well water, which is not very powerful. Has anyone else experienced problems like this, especially with #5, since it is the front plug on the right side? Could it be occurring when you hose off the grill area? I would never put water directly on the engine, and wonder if by chance it was spraying in, do you have any ideas that might help me prevent this.......and the cost each time. Due to health reasons, my days of jumping into it are over! Thanks, Ron

#3 ·
Since this happened, I really did some thinking about the weather, etc, just prior to this happening, nothing! I checked around, cannot see anyway possible for water to have gotten in this time. I cancelled the code. So I was down to less than a half tank of gas, I dropped in two cans of SeaFoam and went for the Interstate, and a good run. I think my problem could be of my own doing, I really don't get to run it steady for awhile, I have been just running down to the store, around down, so a lot of carbon could have built up. After a couple days and some Interstate runs, it seems to be fine, time will tell. Thanks for help.

#5 ·
I hate to keep adding to the saga, but I keep finding more crap on this problem, hope you all will bear with me, I really need opinions/recommendations.
Since this last occurrence, I went back and started looking at the paperwork. I had all the plugs replaced (SP515) and the #7 coil. Then the #5 misfire - the garage replaced the plug and coil......the paperwork shows the plug as HT1, not MC SP515 or the cross, I believe of HT15.
I know the HT1 is a cooler plug, I contacted the Tech Desk at Autolite to get this info. I went down to AutoZone and picked up a SP515 to have installed. I am so irritated, I am thinking of going ahead and try to remove that HT1 myself, following the guidelines of the TSB, and using a impact to pull it out....I guess I am not too trusting of my garage right now. Any wisdom you can give this old fart (75) will be appreciated.

#7 ·
Navigator went into the shop today....and I got to observe what was done, and it was great to drive, again!
They pulled that plug, confirmed it was HT1, as I said it was - from their own billing, and they even replaced the coil, fuel filter, I guess as a conciliatory gesture. The Service Manager was there, apologetic. I was satisfied and glad an error was rectified. Thanks for the inputs and recommendations. Hopefully someday I can offer assistance to another member.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.