97 expedition exhaust leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 11:36   #1 (permalink)

97 expedition exhaust leak

Okay, so i'm pretty sure my manifold is leaking, and it's getting worse. I took it to a muffler shop to have the muffler and exhaust replaced on it, and they mentioned it to me a few months ago. At the time, it was just a small ticking sound (like a card in a bike spoke). Now, it's loud when the car is cold (it quiets down once it warms up), and when you first take off it sounds like it's missing the muffler. I am not sure what side it's on, but judging from the sound its coming from passenger side.

How hard is it to remove the exhaust manifolds? Are they easy to get to? It seems everything else on the motor is impossible to reach, so I am hoping that the exhaust manifolds are just a simple pull and go. I was told they could be accessed directly from the wheel wells on both sides, without any complications.

I am expecting broken bolts, so I have my can of pb catalyst and a blow torch to help remove them, but I wanted to know where the best place is to reach them and pull them out so I can replace the gaskets and tight all the bolts/replace any broken ones.
ex0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 22:28   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 97 expedition exhaust leak

Here's a link to some help. If they're rusted, you may break some. Then you could weld a nut on what's left to remove it. | Repair Guides | Engine Mechanical | Exhaust Manifold | AutoZone.com
Old 08-05-2011, 07:46   #3 (permalink)

I got the passenger tire off, and wow... I started the truck up and was feeling around the manifold for hot air being forced out.. I must say, wow.. the manifold itself doesn't appear to be leaking, although it's got hot air around it (but its not being forced out or blown out). The spot I found that had hot hair blowing out of it, was at the flange on that side. The original collar broke, and somebody took like a metal something, and slid it around the manifold, than they used a really long bolt and nut to pull it tight, essentially pulling the two halves together. It's a crap job as it's leaking like hell from there. The driver side seemed fine, I didn't hear or feel any exhaust coming out from that side.

What do you suggest I do? Should I just take the whole manifold off and drill out the old flange? I think that they are pressed into the flange on the manifold side, but if I could heat it up with a torch I may be able to press them out, or drill them out with a bit and use new bolts and nuts.

Please let me know what you suggest, I have it in pieces right now awaiting reply.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:50   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

" If a jobs worth doing , do it right " I would suggest taking manifold off , a lot easier to examine and repair when it's on a bench .Depending on the botched job , may need replacing anyway . That's only my opinion .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:58   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, the manifold definately isn't coming off... all of the top studs have the nuts rounded off. They are rusted on so bad the nut became part of the manifold itself.

The lower nuts, i'm not even gonna talk about them. There is no way in hell to get on them, even with a universal, the frame of the truck sits literally right in front of the nuts.

Whatever he did, when he broke the original flanges nuts, instead of drilling them out, he just took this compression type round thing that locks into itself on both sides, and he put a u bolt on one side, and a bolt through into the y-pipe flange on the other side. It was only tightening down on one side, leaving the other side able to be opened. Now I have to find a way to get the original bolts OFF, since the manifold isn't going to come off, obv... this is aggravating as hell, a simple job that has taken me 6 hours and i've made NO progress other than getting the tire off.

EDIT: After looking, I can't drill out the manifold. On the right side, there is a thick lip on the bottom stud that prevents you from drilling it from the other side.. looks like I am going to have to find a way to get the nuts out from the manifold itself and put new studs in there... do they just screw in with a nut on the other side?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:44   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Nightmare when you get a job like that . Have had some where I had to remove head .Maybe another member will be on shortly who has some idea of an easier fix .Best of luck .
Old 08-05-2011, 13:25   #7 (permalink)

Thunderbird CUSTOMIZING EXHAUST PIPE FLANGE - JCWhitney

The part he put on looks like that, but it's not a whole piece. It is two parts, and they meet together in the middle at both holes. Since the passenger side has the one messed up notch on the manifold, he had to use a u-bolt on the one side so that he could get it to fit since the clamp wasn't big enough to wrap around the entire part of the manifold. I am going to go to autozone and see if I can find a bigger clamp, or stop by a muffler shop to see what they suggest to do. I don't have the extra cash to fork out for a new manifold and to have somebody take this one out, so i'll have to do what I can to at least get it operable.
Old 08-06-2011, 22:03   #8 (permalink)

Is there anyone near the Jackson, Mi area familiar with welding that could bring their welder with them to my location and help me get this manifold off? I was going to use a die grinder to cut the bolts off and than remove them from the block after the manifold is off, but I can't get the grinder to the bottom set of bolts so that won't work. I'm looking for somebody who can weld something to the bolt so that we can get it off.

I will pay you for your services, and if the manifold gets damaged in the process it's okay, as I have one on hold for me in the case I need to replace it.

If there is anyone near me that can help me out, please let me know. I'd like to get this done as soon as possible, I have a trip up north in about 3 weeks, and would like a good running vehicle to go up there.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Would like to help you out mate , but I'm over the pond in Scotland , Great Britain .
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Call a truck repair shop. They usually have a truck loaded with tools and a welder for on the road repairs.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum