99 awd expedition stops when turns 4X4 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 20:32   #1 (permalink)

99 awd expedition stops when turns 4X4

I have a 99 expedition Eddie B edition 137,000 miles i paid 700 bucks US dollars for.
It stops when I turn the wheels. My old Jeep did this too and never found the problem. Its AWD if I coast and turn the wheels it stops. if I throttle it hops and jumps around and binds up somewhere in the drive train. It also vibrates bad when driving straight. I took out the front drive shaft it stops binding but still vibrates. I have checked all cv axles seem ok. The fluid is horrible BLACK everywhere front diff, transfer case, rear diff, I think they was never changed all 137000 miles. I changed all the fluids 90w, transfer case takes trans fluid, still not any better. so I took it to shop they had no idea they wanted to toss money at it to make it go away. So I took else where same thing. took to Ford paid to have it checked out they said the transfer case or axles are bad ?????? witch one I asked? we don't know (lets toss money at it and it will go away) hummm
So friday I took and lifted it up and checked things myself I replaced inner outer tie rods,idle arm, pitman arm, no luck they was bad anyways took for front end alignment saturday, done good, told them It about my problems they test drove and jacked it up and they don't know what is wrong. front end alignment didn't fix it.
I was thinking that they front shafts are bad. But I can't really afford to toss money at it since I am laid off from work like so many other people are in this country. I was hoping that some one on here had the same trouble and was able to fix it with out tossing money at the problem. I don't have a problem with changing the part I just don't want to have to spend $120 for new front cv axles if the transfer case is bad. or 375 for a junk yard t case and then if its the axles how would I know the case is good?

This was a very clean SUV till I hit the fender with a hammer on accident getting the left outer tie rod off and runs ok needs a tune up misfire on #5 had a trans code it wasn't reading something i forgot what the code meant it was p1205 I found wires messed up on the harness for the trans. and repaid as needed that's all good now. I did a compression test all cyls are in good range. Changed the fuel filter that was a PITA to change checked the front and rear brakes they look like they have about 10 miles on them both with new rotors rt front hose & caliper new. The past owner moved to TX. didn't want it anymore. A nd his brother sold it to me for $700 I think I did good but wife is complaining of front end.
Thanks everyone for putting up with my rambling If you are unsure what I am talking about please just post and I'll try to explain it better
Thanks Pizzo
Chicago IL
99 Ford Expedition AWD
leather After market Alarm Remote start block heater iin a freeze plug
Kenwood CD player Ipod MP3 TV DVD player
future adds 2 PS3 one for each kid lol
pizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 20:56   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 99 awd expedition stops when turns 4X4

Have you tried jacking the it up, putting it on stands and see if you can duplicate it? Maybe get an idea where it could be coming from? When you say it stops when you turn the wheel, do you mean like putting the brakes on? How do the boots look on the front axles? Are they in good shape?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 18:27   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Have you tried jacking the it up, putting it on stands and see if you can duplicate it? Maybe get an idea where it could be coming from? When you say it stops when you turn the wheel, do you mean like putting the brakes on? How do the boots look on the front axles? Are they in good shape?
Oh yes I forgot to mention that I did jack all 4 wheels up and turned the wheels both directions nothing happend they turned without any noise. or binding. So it only does it under a load. I helt the brake gassed it nothing. the boots I did not see anything wrong with them they are not tore or ripped. I will look again tomorrow just to make double sure they are not messed up. Rt side is a little messed up from the ABS sensor wire rubbing it. It wasn't in the holders. I seriously think its the CV axles. I think that they are bad causing it to slip inside or something.
I also shook the axle to see if there was any play. I don't know how to check them. they only moved in and out a little like 1/8 inch or so. But no free play in twisting.
when I turn the wheel while coasting say 2-3 mph in parking lot it slows and the tires hop and skip. (like having a posi rearend and making a sharp turn) and makes a quiet binding up noise. if i give it gas it will drive through it makes a loud binding and humming noise then.

I took it for a ride today in a parking lot and turned the wheel and just hammered the skinny hoping what ever is wrong will just break off and that will give me a clue. I almost flipped it lol should have had it on video
it got dark and didn't want to mess with it anymore was at it since 9am till 6pm tinkering with it
screw it I'll brb I'm going to look at those CV axles now just to make sure yesterday when I checked them they where ok maybe with me turning hard and jumping on the skinny it may have broke something remembering the vibration was worse when i got it home
Old 10-05-2009, 18:44   #4 (permalink)

guess what I guess jummping on the skinny worked the rt side outer is tore and the left side inner is tore now I asure you that is the first thing i have looked at from the start of this mess. But I want to thank you very much for your reply. I am headed to Oreilly's now to buy both axles
thanks so much
Tommy Pizzo
Old 10-05-2009, 19:28   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sounds like you're on top of it. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck. Hope that does it.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 21:30   #6 (permalink)

The problem is with your transfer case. This is a very common problem area with the Expeditions. The binding and hopping is because it's stuck in 4wd mode regardless of what the selector switch is set to. And I wouldn't get one from the junk yard, it's probably toast too, I would rebuild the one you have or get a whole new one. The mis-fire is going to require the replacement of the coil pack (another common problem area assuming you have the 5.4L) and at that mileage while you're there you might as well replace the plugs too if you haven't already.
Eddie Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 22:41   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Bauer View Post
The problem is with your transfer case. This is a very common problem area with the Expeditions. The binding and hopping is because it's stuck in 4wd mode regardless of what the selector switch is set to. And I wouldn't get one from the junk yard, it's probably toast too, I would rebuild the one you have or get a whole new one. The mis-fire is going to require the replacement of the coil pack (another common problem area assuming you have the 5.4L) and at that mileage while you're there you might as well replace the plugs too if you haven't already.
It is AWD all the time. The selector switch says AWD, 4high, 4low. Its just binding up when i turn at low speeds and vibrates bad. I now found that the CV axle boots are torn. After my crazy stunt in a parking lot. trying to break it. so maybe that's the problem I hope
Old 10-06-2009, 08:55   #8 (permalink)

I have check and changed the trans fluid in the transfer case. It was BURNT bad. I did that before I even posted anything on here I was hoping that it would make it a little better. No metal came out other then normal wear and tear.
Is there a viscon clutch ( I think that's what they called it) inside that transfer case? I know in Jeeps there is well my old Jeep Grand Cherokee their was. Does that Allow the front end to slip up when turning? So it don't bind up. In a little while I am going to get to work on it. I'll be responding soon
thanks
Tommy Pizzo
Old 10-06-2009, 11:06   #9 (permalink)

You have just hit upon one of the problem areas with Ford 4wd There is no differential in the transfer case to accommodate turning of the front wheels. You see, the front axle travels a different arc than the rear axle, and with no differential, they are both mechanically connected to travel at the same speed, and you'll get binding when you turn the steering wheel, as you experienced. Full time 4x4 systems like on a Land Rover or something similar have a differential in the center that will truly allow you to run full-time 4wd.

On the Expedition you can't run in 4wd (4Hi or 4Lo) drive mode on dry pavement, because of the hard link between the front and rear axles andthe resulting binding/wheel hop.

The AWD system engages autolocking hubs (they use vacuum to disengage) and will vary torque to the front wheels up to 50% as needed when the rear wheels start to slip.

The operation of the 4wd system is all explained in the owner's manual - you should give it a quick look though if you haven't already.
Eddie Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 19:01   #10 (permalink)

Yeah the CV axles didn't work less vibration to a humming noise but it still pops loud when I turn I also took a picture of the transfer case. There is a motor or something on the back of it looks almost like a window wiper motor
their is a 2 stickers on it says "power on demand" "torque on demand"
My question is does that motor engage something inside the T case when it needs it? If so could that be bad? and staying engaged? Can I buy that part? i tried to attach the picture to this post lets see if it worked or not just to give everyone a idea what T case i have I also have Video you tube is still loading it i will send a link as soon as its done. thanks Pizzo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00272.jpg (101.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00270.jpg (94.6 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Expedition Forum | Lincoln Navigator Forum